Arrrgggh Grunnnt I can't get my rails or ladder out!

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
OK sorry I haven't been on the board in awhile, the wood/pellet stove industry is HOT this year (bad pun) :)
I decided after getting earlier advice from Jason, etc. on the board (and my PB) that I'm going to give it a shot this winter and keep the pool open. So I got everything balanced and ready to cut my pump time back, and...I tried and tried and can't get my rails or ladder out! (I wanted to take them out so I can put my cover on long enough for all the leaves to fall, then take the cover off for the winter).
This is my first year with a SWG, and the fittings that the ladder fits into have a gray/white flaky type of corrosion all over them, so I don't know if the salt in the water could have corroded the fittings and caused the ladder (and my pool rails) to get stuck, but for whatever reason, they're stuck fast. I took the bolts completely out (no problem there), and even whacked on the ladder with a rubber mallet, but nothing will budge.
So does anyone in the industry (or anyone who has run into this) have any suggestions?
thanks much

Put the bolts back in until they are just in the threads and tap down on them with lightly with a hammer or whatever you've got handy. The wedges that hold the ladder in place are pulled up when you tighten the bolt, and are stuck in place. Removing the bolt doesn't move them unless they're loose already, so they need to be persuaded a bit.

After that, continue with the mallet. In really bad cases a hydraulic jack and a few 2x4's is the way to go, tapping with the mallet while using the jack to put a constant force on it.

Todd, forget the mallet! You'll end up denting the ladder :evil:

Tim is right about the wedges! Once those are down splash some water onto the cups and give them a good wiggle, you'll see the white slime coming out of the cups. Keep adding the water and wiggling the rails while providing some upward force. With some patience ! they will eventually come out unharmed 8) Let the water dissolve the gunk and they'll come out easily enough.

{edit} here is another post on this 8)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For your next pool...if you are using a SWG, make sure you don't use aluminum anchors for the rails. Use the bronze or the SR Smith "plastic" ones. The salt combo with differing metals (SS-aluminum) tends to make the metals "fuse". Interfab also make a sacrificial anode for their rail goods for SWG pools. :mrgreen:

I tried all these with my handrail last fall, and it NEVER did come out. I had to cover around it. I opened last weekend and tried again, but there is no budging it. I have concluded that PB put the bronze holders in backwards and it will never come out now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.