Lots of rain after pool closure

May 1, 2008
This is my first winter with a new pool pool. I had the pool company close the pool for me. They drained the pool and the water level was a good two inches below the return lines. Since I don't have any trees in the backyard, I chose not to cover the pool.

Over the weekend, we received a substantial amount of rain. The water level is now right at return line. Do I need to drain the pool a few inches or should I just leave it? I live in Canada, so as you can imagine, the winters get extremely cold.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello,
I was waiting for someone in the industry to answer this, but I thought at this point I'd give my two cents. I would drain a couple of inches, and keep an eye on it over the winter. It's my understanding that the water is below the return lines and the return lines were probably blown out, so that no water is left pooled in the lines that can freeze. Maybe they put some type of plugs in the return lines after they blew them out (?) to keep water from going back into them, but if they dropped the level below the returns, I'd try to keep it at that level.

Yes, what tnthudson said. In the early spring, after the freezing weather is over but before you "open" the pool, you can start letting any rain raise the water level. When freezes are still expected it is safer to keep the water line below the returns.

Jason, just for clarification for the OP - The reason for lowering several inches below the return line is to leave room for ice expansion so that the layer of ice that forms on top of the water doesn't reach and damage the return fittings, correct?

There are a couple of reasons for keeping the water below the returns. In Canada, ice can shear off the fittings. That won't happen in milder climates. Another reason is to keep water from getting into the return line. The plug on the return line should keep water from getting in, but the plug doesn't always hold (even thin ice layers can "nudge" the plug out of place if it isn't really solidly in place). If the water level is below the return, you have an extra measure of protection against water getting into the return line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.