Will It Pump?

Aug 2, 2014
Huntsville, AL
Purchased new Hayward 16" sand filter/pump system for Intex Ultra Frame 18' x 48" pool. The goal was install sand filter / SWG by house which is 30' from pool. PVC pipe from pump to pool. I checked elevations of pump suction flow line relative to pool skimmer box suction exit. The pump elevation at house is about 1'-11" higher than pool base (ground). Adding the pump base platform and the wood platform it would set on means that the flow line elevation of the pump suction side is 2" above the flow line of the skimmer. Will this setup still pump to the sand filter without suction problems or that of priming? Thanks,

Above ground pool pumps the water flows into them. If the pump intake is above the water level then it won't work. (You'd need an inground pool pump.)

In simplest terms, an above ground pool pump is a flooded suction pump, which means the water level must be higher than the pump for it to operate, and an inground pump has the ability to draw water up from a level lower than the pump. The engineering and structure of these two different types of pumps is what makes them work the way they do. This means that, in a typical installation, you could use an inground-specific pump on an above ground pool, but not an above ground pump on an inground pool with the water level below the pump. (copied from: What is the difference between in ground and above ground pool pump)

I kinda thought that be the case. I could mount on at grade on concrete pavers (at grade). That would allow at least 4" below the skimmer suction flow line. But 4" difference in elevation is not much. Right? Looks like my only option, since I already have the equipment, is to install beside the pool. That would allow apprx. 25" in elevation below the skimmer. WDUT?

Unless I'm mistaken that Hayward pump does have some suction lift, so if you're only a few inches above the waterline it should pump without any problem. However if you can get it at or below the waterline it'll make priming it easier.

My Dynamo pump will lift about 8' so some pumps rated for aboveground pools do have some suction lift.

The Matrix is not self-priming so the inlet to the pump basket needs to be below water level. It is hard to tell from the drawing but it looks like the center line of the pump inlet pipe is at water level, correct? If so, it will probably work ok that way. The only requirement is that water floods the pump basket when the pump is off. In other words, if you were to open the pump basket lid, water would flow into the pump basket from the pool without the pump running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is correct with this setup. Flow line of basket is level with pool water. I can remove the platform and grade a little and gain maybe 6" of elevation difference. That is the pump basket would be 6" below water level. BTW pump is not installed yet. will be plumbed in once I figure out it can pump / carry suction. My pre-buy calcs obviously had some flaws. Did not account for the pump flow line being 10.5" above the ground.

Maybe the real question is not will it pump but rather will it have a priming issue since it is not a self-priming pump. A hydraulic question. If I have a U shape straw and one side is 6" lower than the other, would water flow out and over from the high side.

No it will not have priming issues as long as it is flooded (i.e. pump basket fills on it's own).

As for your second question, I am not clear on the setup but if the water source is above the outlet and above the highest point of the pipe, then yes it will gravity feed. However, if any point of the pipe is above water level, it will not gravity feed unless you prime the pipe. Basically water seeks it's own level.

I think I have answered my questions. Thank you. (1) the pump will pump. (2) priming issue should be fine. Attached is a sketch of my dims / elevations / projections on layout. If I hold to my elevations correctly, I should be able to get gravity feed priming. IE water flowing back up into the pump basket. correct?SCAN_05292015_0001PUMP.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh that's upside down. Sorry. Try this.SCAN_05292015_0001PUMP.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.