My Pool Won't Balance

May 29, 2015
Groveport Oh
Hi
My first post, I am honored be be here. I've owned a pool for many years and have not come across this problem before. Let me back up a few months, I spend a lot of time and care closing my pool every year and it normally opens up clear. It is typically science opening it, but in early winter I had a rather large tree branch blow off and it landed in the pool and busted the cover allowing dirty water into the pool when I replaced it. When I opened it this year I did all the normal stuff, removing leaves, there were only a small amount, about like normal, ran my vacuum until my inline filter never picked up any more debris which again was minimal. My water was not green but it is very cloudy, when I opened it I could see down around 3 feet. Here is where I am at a loss, I raised my PH and lowered by Alkalinity, added shock up to 5ppm, then my stabilizer. Normally I can open the pool, balance it, add 4 gallons of shock and it runs trouble free with just minimal chemical adjustments along with the tabs. This year I had to add 16 gallons of shock to balance it and this morning when I checked it the FC was gone and so was the CY. I am sure the pool has some algae but not to the point it has any green color. The pool store is telling me I need to put algaecide and add something he was trying to sale me to lower the phosphate but in all my years I have never had to add either of them to balance my pool, and I only use algaecide after the pool is open to prevent algae. I have added more shock than I do in a normal year. Do you have any idea what I can do except for buying more shock? If I add more shock will it recover any of the CY?

Welcome to TFP!

If the CYA is gone, it's gone - no "recovering" it.

I must ask first, how are you testing your water?

We base our system on accurate testing, and pool store testing is notoriously bad. We recommend you get your own quality test kit and this will allow you to know what is going on in your pool. Here is our list of recommended test kits. I will caution you that they are generally only available ordered over the Internet. Pool stores do not generally stock them because they want to offer the free testing service to recommend what you need to buy to fix your water. Pure marketing. You get what you pay for in free pool water testing.

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

I can almost guarantee you have stuff growing in that water. As algae begins to grow the pool starts to get cloudy, goes gray then green. If you catch it in that cloudy state unless you use sufficient chlorine for a long enough time you never rely get rid of the algae. We call this process a SLAM.

Pool School - Defeating Algae

Welcome! :wave:

That rate of Chlorine consumption sort of smacks of Ammonia conversion of the CYA. A lot of reports of that this year. The cure is a bunch of bleach until the Ammonia is gone, then add the stabilizer and keep it chlorinated. Haul a sample to the pool store and ask them to check for Ammonia. Or go to a store that sells tropical fish and aquarium supplies and buy your own ammonia test kit.

Others have already covered the necessity of your own pool test kit and how to rid the pool of algae, so I'll sabe myself some typing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.