DRAIN POOL RID ALGAE?

TAAM186 said:
HELLO,
MY POOL WATER IS GREEN AND HAS BEEN FOR APROX 3 WEEKS DUE TO ALGAE. I DONT HAVE THE TIME TO GIVE TO TREAT THE POOL WATER DUE TO WORK HOURS. IF I DRAINED THE POOL AND RE FILLED IT AND TREATED IT WOULD THAT GET RID OF THE ALGAE.

TOM

No it woon't get rid of the algae, although it might eliminate high CYA if that is an issue with your algae problem. Draining a pool can cause damage to the shell in a concrete or fiberglass pool, and almost always requires a new liner in a vinyl pool more than a couple of years old.

Maybe, probably not. Unless you rinsed the liner with bleach while it was empty there would still be algae in the pool, which would start growing again as soon as you started refilling the pool. You probably would gain some ground against the algae that way, but not enough to justify the work of draining and refilling.

Fighting standard green algae doesn't have to take a lot of time. In most cases you will need a couple of hours in a row when you can check the pool/add chlorine every hour and then a few minutes a day after that.

The best suggestion I could make to you is to take some time to click on the 'Pool School' link at the top of the page (or in my signature below) and read through EVERYTHING in it. When you are done read through it again. This will give you the basic knowledge you need to clear your pool and keep it clear.

P.S. In both posts you have made in the forum you have typed in all caps. Many people consider this to the the equivalent of 'shouting' when you do this in forums. Just a bit of 'netiquette'. :wink:
"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.