Do you keep your Pump Plug in the outlet 24/7

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
This is my question. I have an outdoor GFCI outlet but I manually plug in and unplug the unit everyday. I know that the GFCI will shut off if it gets wet but my concern is we have a torrential rain, can't water get into the outlet and damage the insides? See pic, if it starts raining crazy water can get in between the plug and the outlet receptacle. Do most people leave theirs plugged in 24/7.

Mine is plugged in all day every day.

That is an outdoor box so the likelihood of getting water in there is much smaller. It would take a good driving rain to really soak that. Worst case, if a big storm is coming just unplug it and close the lid.

The cover on that box is not rated to be "in use" while its raining, it seals when it's closed. Google "while in use" outlet cover, that's really what you want to keep it plugged in all the time.

Can't say if you'll ever have a problem with what you got, just pointing you to what is technically proper.

You should change that receptacle to a proper outdoor, in-use rated one. Even the really fancy metal ones with lock-out tabs are not that expensive and the installation is pretty easy. Just remember to de-energize the circuit at your main panel before attempting to make electrical changes.

I have my power outlet covered with a tiny roof.

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.