New and some questions...

marianegs

Bronze Supporter
Jul 8, 2014
NJ
Hello all, so I am new to having a pool and the TFP method and so far so good (knock on wood) my numbers are great, I am really getting the hang of it. BUT some questions,

1. My husband and I both work full time, so we check our pool numbers at night (around 7:00 pm) and add when we need to so we have our pump run from 4:00-9:00 pm because I believe that pump needs to be on when you add chemicals correct?

2. On weekends, we use the pool the most, pretty much all day. I like the pump on to clear everything out before I use it, so I usually manually put it on in the morning, and it usually runs all day, is that ok, that during the week its on only at night and weekends, its on more like almost 12 hours?

3. Should I test the water around the same time every day? So on Friday, it will be around 7:00 pm but the weekends I am home, can I do it at 10:00 am on Saturday, or should it be around the same time every day?

I am sorry if these are silly questions, I have to admit I am pretty proud of myself, because my pool looks awesome and clear, and I just want to make sure I am doing everything in my power to keep it that way!!

I would say yes to all your chemical questions. Its not the end of the world if you test and adjust at a slightly different time on the weekends. The important part is that the chlorine level stay above the minimum for your CYA level.

I would recommend you check the instructions that came with your pool and pump as some above ground pool pums should not run when there are people in the water.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool! And extra congrats for it being awesome and clear!

Yes, best to have the pump on when adding chemicals, see link below on recommended chemicals and how to add them. It is not that important to test at the same time every day. It is most important to make sure that your chlorine level does not drop below the minimum level for your CYA level on the Chlorine / CYA Chart. There are no silly questions! :)

Do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits? I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thank you for the responses! Yes, I have the TF100 test kit, I need to put that in my signature line. Is it ok to some days have the pump on for 5 hours and some days (weekends) having it on for 9 hours?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.