Proper or preferred method for adding ant-freeze to lines??

jeffdw

Sep 22, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I closed my pool myself for the first time this year. I watched all the youtube videos, read a bunch of post here, and scanned a few other articles online. I live in northern Virginia, so the winters are hit or miss but still not that freezing cold all winter long.

One thing I have not seen or heard is how to actually fill your return lines with Anti-freeze at least any preferred methods or tricks.
I did not drain my water level below my returns, I started to base on some of the preferences on this site but that was a lot of water for me and I rely on a well to fill it back up. Not to mention the solid cover having nothing to rest on.

I use a compressor and blew lines out and plugged while bubbling. So, no way to get the anti-freeze in from pool side of returns this way…at least that I can see.
So, I went to the pump side and the only way I could come up with was removing the Jandy valve cover, which is split between my VAC line and return line. I use a flexible funnel hose and fished it across to the return line so it would pour straight down the return line and then did the same for the VAC line.

Here is my concern; I poured about 2 gallons of anti-freeze down the return line until it started overflowing and about 1 and half gallons down the VAC line till it started over flowing. The return line is about 35-38 foot long and the VAC line is about 28-30.
I can not image only two gallons of antifreeze would filling up the return line and VAC line.

Could this be right??? I am now worried that there is water still in the line, hence the reason why the anti-freeze is backing up. Is there some other reason why the anti-freeze would be backing up the return lines? I’m confused and concerned.

How does everyone else that does not drain below return lines force anti-freeze into their lines. The pool store mentioned something about blowing it through but really didn't give me the details. Any clues how to do this or some other way?

Also, does anyone know how to winterize a slide line. I blew the line out but there is really no way to get anti-freeze from either side of the line.
Last question, will a Jandy valve hold the air lock on the main drain all winter?
Thanks!!

You'll usually have some air trapped in the lines that will hold the antifreeze. The level will eventually drop and you can add more.

Try these.

http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/product ... f_id=W1115

PW1115B.JPG

You could have air in the lines. The only way to know is to unscrew the plugs alittle but since they are under water, forget it. Since you don't get a bad winter, I would think your lines are OK. Next time, I would drain below the returns, blow them out and plug them, and then let the winter/spring rains refill your pool.

Oopps ... solid cover, didn't see that until I reread your post. Since you have a solid cover, I would get a small pump and pump the cover water into the pool. If it hasn't sat to long on the pool cover and is full of algea. After a hard rain or every couple of weeks, pump the water off the cover into the pool. I suppose I'll get flamed for suggestion that.

Welcome to TFP!!

Nothing unusual about this, I see it all the time. If my partner closes the valve for the skimmer before I can add the antifreeze, I usually can't even get a gallon down the pipe - as John said the air is stopping the antifreeze but it will eventually find it's lowest point and mix with the residual water to protect the line. 8) You blew the lines correctly and plugged them while bubbling :goodjob: The amount of water left in the lines is negligible and 1/2 gal of antifreeze would be enough to mix with the little water left in the line - also, most lines are run below the frost line so the antifreeze is just a little extra protection/ insurance :)

waste said:
The amount of water left in the lines is negligible and 1/2 gal of antifreeze would be enough to mix with the little water left in the line - also, most lines are run below the frost line so the antifreeze is just a little extra protection/ insurance :)

Where he lives, he did fine. The further north and lower in the growing zones you are in; you had better get more water out of the lines. Frost line here is 40 inches; growing zone 4a. A leaky inlet plug or skimmer plug could be costly. That's also why I use skimmer covers, blow-out and then vacuum out the lines and fill them with anti-freeze. I drain the pool to just below the lowest return fitting. Since I closed the pool (loop-loc cover), we have gotten 6.3 inches of rain with 2 to 4 inches of snow forecasted for tomorrow night.

Hotrod, you make a good point that the expected winter conditions need to be factored in when winterizing a pool! The way you describe your winterizing is probably as fool proof as one could do :goodjob: However, some folks can't drain below the returns (either fill water issues or ground water issues), which means they have to plug the lines while they are still underwater. I figure that there might be ~ 2 cups of water left in one of those lines (based on what I see come out of the air valve on the stairs when we blow and plug them), so 1/2 gal of -60* antifreeze, mixed with that water, will protect the lines to < - 30*. Also, that minimal amount of water in the line probably doesn't fill the pipe, so there's no risk of ice expansion bursting it, but the antifreeze insures against it :wink:

I know what you're saying about a leaking plug! We use the ones with the o-ring but still wrap the threads with teflon tape to prevent such a leak. On a similar note, how do those blow through plugs hold up? (the ones I've seen don't seem to last [work] for more than 2 seasons :grrrr: ) I also like the idea of the 'Aquadoor' as long as it's fully seated (I understand that a rolling pin can be used to insure that it fully seats 8) )

BTW - I see nothing wrong with pumping ~ clean water off of the cover into the pool - at least you know it's not full of metals :)

Have a good winter and I hope to see you around here in the 'off season' :wave:

Ted

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.