Renovation in Henderson NV

Foxy

Aug 1, 2013
Henderson, NV
A little background, bought my 1st house about 2yrs ago and it has an OB pool that was done in 1999-2000. The quality of the work was not very good, but luckily the plaster has lasted this long and is currently still usable while we figure out how to manage a renovation!
So here is what we need to do- re-plaster, new coping and new decking, and here is what we want to do- new tile, change/remove the waterfall, decrease the depth of the large 2nd step to make it a tanning ledge, decrease the depth of the pool in the middle (it's 6ft) so that we can stand/walk the entire length of the pool, fence and landscaping. And...on a budget, because we have been working on projects for the past 2 years! We DIY as much as we possibly can ;).

I must say THANKS to the other local forum members that have answered my PM's and provided me with info on the contractors they have used, you all are awesome!

Now for pics of my run down pool! We will also be raising the height of the block wall and removing the 90s decorative block and painting the house.

Here is the overhead view of our lot. The driveway is on the side of our house and we extended the wall to go along the driveway and all the way to the street to double the size of our backyard, but it is currently dirt, it is sloped and there is a septic tank 5ft from the pool and the leach field is under the dirt area, so that limits what we can plant.
On the other side of the driveway, we removed that portion of the side yard, leveled it, did a stack-able retaining wall and created RV parking. The side of the house between us and the neighbor is where the pool equipment and a/c units are (we just had new ones installed and moved them to there and out of the backyard), we are going to build a storage shed over there, we have moved a block wall and gate to the edge of the house on that side already, so we've made the backyard as big as possible.

We are accepting suggestions and ideas! Thanks for reading.

This is who uses our pool the most and the reason for decreasing the depth of the 2nd step to make a more shallow tanning ledge and decreasing the overall depth of the pool so that we can stand/walk, we don't swim lol. We have 2 Boston Terriers, 1 swims and 1 doesn't and we foster Bostons and French Bulldogs-that is why there is a temp fence across the pool, they also wear pool alarms.

https://flic.kr/p/f7bZFF https://www.flickr.com/photos/93290176@N08/

I think you can accomplish everything you want with some DIY elbow grease, with one caveat: most experts here recommend you hire a pro to plaster the pool because of the complications involved. Apparently pool plaster is very finicky and any slight error can cause major problems. Look forward to seeing the results!

I'm so glad you're posting here on TFP! You're photos are some of the best I've seen to give an overview of everything going on with your pool. I enjoy watching a renovation project; sorry I don't have the expertise to help.

My favorite photos are the ones of the dogs! Absolutely adorable and fantastic shots! They're having the time of their lives! We also love the pet float. We need something for our cats (one of ours will insist on being in the pool with us), but they wouldn't like getting wet.

I wish I had some specific suggestions. Your backyard size is such a bonus. For me, I think I would be thinking as I went along and see the needs and wants as the project progresses. It seems to me, though, with your DIY skills and your proven creativity, you won't have trouble coming up with ideas! And of course, there are tons of creative geniuses on TFP. I can't wait to see more! Take care. Suz.

Great pics! Love the underwater shot. Exactly the same reason I had to put a fence around my pool - furry kids! Vegas native myself. Hope all goes well for you.

Howdy neighbor and thanks! We will have a wrought iron fence installed into the decking when we are all done with it, but the temp fence has worked fine for all the doggies.

Looking forward to seeing the progress, and that's quite a nice lot you have to work with. Keep the pics coming!

Going to be a long process, but I will update in the future :). Thanks, the unfortunate thing about the lot is the septic tank which limits our options, but we'll make it work.

I think you can accomplish everything you want with some DIY elbow grease, with one caveat: most experts here recommend you hire a pro to plaster the pool because of the complications involved. Apparently pool plaster is very finicky and any slight error can cause major problems. Look forward to seeing the results!

Thanks, we aren't going to do plaster or tile ourselves. We will likely tackle most of the demo and we could do some plumbing and electrical if needed. Will probably have someone do the patio. We will do most of the landscaping and irrigation. We could paint the house ourselves, but will likely do the prep and pay for paint. So not all DIY, but on a budget!!

I'm so glad you're posting here on TFP! You're photos are some of the best I've seen to give an overview of everything going on with your pool. I enjoy watching a renovation project; sorry I don't have the expertise to help.

My favorite photos are the ones of the dogs! Absolutely adorable and fantastic shots! They're having the time of their lives! We also love the pet float. We need something for our cats (one of ours will insist on being in the pool with us), but they wouldn't like getting wet.

I wish I had some specific suggestions. Your backyard size is such a bonus. For me, I think I would be thinking as I went along and see the needs and wants as the project progresses. It seems to me, though, with your DIY skills and your proven creativity, you won't have trouble coming up with ideas! And of course, there are tons of creative geniuses on TFP. I can't wait to see more! Take care. Suz.

Thank you!
I've read your build and I'm enjoying following your progress, I can't wait to see your finished pool!

We are just starting to gather ideas and get costs to see how we can make this happen before the pool becomes unusable, but it won't be done for this summer for sure, it's 100+ degrees here now :). We do tend to do everything in phases, so we'll pretty much be figuring it out as we go!

How about a beanbag/pillow pool float for the cat? It looks like they wouldn't get wet. Dog Pool Float and Lounger - Frontgate

Thanks, Foxy! I'm glad you stop by my pool build. I used to do more DIY and really enjoyed it! I was always the one to dig the post holes. But maybe that's what wore me out! LOL!!

We've had our summers where we hit the 100's early in June. But last year and so far this year, we've been more fortunate. I hibernate come July, August, and part of September! In fact, in August, I'm always online searching for waterfront property in New Hampshire or Maine. I hate the heat and swear each August I'm moving! My family just ignores and laughs at me.

Thanks for the suggestion of the bean bag float. That's a strong possibility! Our cats love to be on soft and comfy things - just a tad spoiled. I'll wait and see how eager Toby is to join me. He always has to be near. And Max will sleep on anything new. Keep us posted on all your projects! Suz.

I do believe we are going to have to reconsider some of our "wants".... with a quote of almost $15k with just basic white plaster, 'standard' water line tile, 18" concrete coping with spray deck...

And we'd still have the rest of the deck to deal with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.