Id like to share my journey

May 24, 2015
coal city il
Bought a house last nov with a pool. Didnt know jack about anything. I made mistake of dumping winters leftovers in pool when i got lazy and tried to take cover off by myself without cleaning. Resulted in immediate swamp 6 days ago.
359937e270cbd5c2cdb2974b97fb8676.jpg

Took immediate action and bought rake for leaves and spent hours scooping blindly for a couple days. At night i read this forum and the philosophy resonated with me. I ordered test kit tf100 which came today but i took action using 6 way strips to guestimate with pool math until then as i sure in **** wasnt going to let it fester! Pool school helped me to make key decisions along the way as i had plenty of the previous owners supplies which was everything against tfp philosophy such as:

Gutted the nature2 visionpro mineral cartridge and left trichlor tabs out since i did not want cya. I figured even after winter with the previous owner using it chances it was already enough. Strip estimated some 30 to 50.

I was tempted to use leftover bags of shock which was calcium hypochlorite which i did not find favorable after pool school. So school steered me from this.

In the mean time i spent mem day weekend cleaning multiple times vacuuming and cleaning filter repeatedlyand think this is a big factor for anyone fixing swamps. I tested twice a day and added bleach accordingly to strips and pool math using best guess chlorinating at middle of strips cya range. Needless to say i got lucky. Here are tf100 numbers tonight after shooting in the dark all week without precise testing.

FC: 14
CC: 1
CYA: 35
TA: 15
CH: 225
Ph: did not measure due to FC level

3 days post swamp
1f84ad7b4339d9ec2a231be4cd7d3794.jpg

4 days after swamp
6176f10791b238a45b37da74277c0b81.jpg

6 days post swamp (tonight)
326317957abd9cfde3e434c383dcaa82.jpg

Thank you pool nerds!! Ill update hopefully soon with clear waters in a couple days!

Correction: TA 150 not 15. Thanks folks. I did get the speedstir....i always like gadgets. Im curious how high the cya was for it to be 35 after winter? Not sure how much it decreases over few months? Plus i added 3 inches of water. 3 inches is 1000 gallons whew!

Please update this with a pic of the final result if you don't mind. It would be nice to see a series of pics showing the progress. And you've got a good start on it already. All thats left is the final clean, clear, sparkling pic!!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.