GL-235 to operate Intex SWCG pump

jmuzzy

Jun 25, 2014
Kent, WA
Hi there, I'm new to TFP and am upgrading our family pool. It's an Intex 16' round ultra frame AGP with a combo Intex sand filter/SWCG.

This year I'm looking to add solar heating and automation. I ordered SunQuest 2-2x20' panels and a Hayward/Goldline GL-235 kit with 3-way valve, actuator and sensors.

I also have the Intex 635T SWCG pump that came with the pool (unused) in case I can use that to accomplish what I want.

Basically Id like the GL-235 to turn on the Intex pump after opening the valve. It seems like that's what the HV (high voltage) side of the controller is for. Intex warns that the combo unit can't be put on a timer so I think I need to use the 635T as a dedicated pump to send water through the panels.

So my biggest question is how can I use the GL-235 to turn on the Intex 635T pump? Can I wire it up internally, or do I need a relay, and if so, how do I go about wiring it all up?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Welcome to TFP!

There isn't normally any reason to use a second pump in a solar setup. You would only do that if the plumbing run to the solar panels is especially long or they are mounted more than two stories above ground.

I recommend sticking with the pump you have now, and simply having the GL-235 control only the valve. There isn't anything in what you said that in any way suggests a need for a second pump, and adding the second pump would significantly increase the complexity to no purpose.

Hi Jason and thank you. Any ideas on how to get the GL-235 to turn the Intex pump on and off? I get the impression that some pumps like Hayward include a way to wire up from the HV side of the controller but I'm not seeing it in these Intexes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm beginning to wonder if I have a fundamentally flawed understanding of the purpose and use of a controller like the GL-235.

Here's my understanding/expectation, somebody please set me straight where I'm off.

Basically I expected that the GL-235 would control the whole show. So somehow it would know the sun is out and it would open up the three way valve so flow is directed through the solar panels and then it would turn on the pump. At some point when the water was no longer heating it would turn off the pump then close the valve. The next day it would all repeat until the desired water temp was reached and then it would shut off and only come back on when the water temp dropped.

I don't think this is right though now that I've written it out. Can somebody point me to where I went wrong?

Thanks!

Jmuzzy

I am actually doing the same exact thing you like to accomplish, my intex 633t will be controlled by the gl-235, for my panels mounted on my roof. The sensor will notify the controller when to open the valve and turn on the pump.

I am keeping my intex sand filter pump separate which runs off a woods 50015 and my SWCG on its on built on timer

- - - Updated - - -

The key to get it to work like that is placement of the temperature sensors, if you place the pool temperature sensor in a pipe at the plumbing pad with the pump off and pipe in the sunlight it will likely read higher than it really is. So instead you either need some flow past the pool temperature sensor in the pipe, or have it where it gets a good reading on the bulk of the pool water, such as the skimmer (which may be a bit warmer than the rest of the pool, but will be close).

Yes, I figured out that the gl 235 has the relay built into it so I just wired it so that it switches an outlet and I'll plug the Intex pump into that. I'll add some pictures later today.

92c9d432faf1eeb67add6c8e26f03f10.jpg

I'll try and take another picture with the cover off and after it's all hooked up. Basically the power comes from an outlet on the inside of this exterior wall through the back of the exterior box. It goes into the line side of a gfci outlet. From the load side of the gfci power goes up into the gl-235. The switched side of the gl-235 goes down to the 2nd outlet in the lower box. The gfci outlet is hot all the time and powers a combo Intex saltwater sand filter that has its own inbuilt timer. The 2nd outlet is switched and will power a 2nd pump specifically for the solar panels. Hopefully that makes sense [emoji3].

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.