Green Water and no Free chlorine Help!

Jul 20, 2014
Wallkill
Last year, I had an issue maintaining Free Chlorine. :(My Pool Guy said, I should just empty the pool and add fresh water. I opened the pool yesterday only to find a layer of green algae covering the bottom. Also, Zero FC. I added 2 lbs of Clorax Pool Shock. Water is still green and now cloudy. I am in the process of cleaning out all dead algae. As per my last test the Chlorine level was 1.0 and PH 7.5. Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do next to get the water crystal clear again?:(

:testresults:

From your description you need to SLAM Process the pool. To do this properly, you will need a FAS-DPD chlorine test-this uses both a powder and a liquid reagent. This test is included in the Recommended Test Kits which I would suggest getting if you don't have one already. Our methods and recommendation depend on accurate test results.

A couple of resources I would suggest getting familiar with:
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
Pool Math

Also, I would stock up on plain liquid bleach ... you will need a lot of it for the SLAM.

Be aware that CLOROX™ POOL&SPA™ SHOCK PLUS™ is 58% dichlor, along with some other stuff that is most likely there to counteract the acidity. So you've added some CYA already. Roughly 11 PPM.

Get the right test kit - and the XL option, since you'll need the extra test powder while clearing the swamp - and just follow the SLAM instructions.

Some Inspiration is in here. Might be better to go to the last post and work backwards.

Tot Chlorine 0
Free Chlorine 0
TDS 400
CYA 30
PH 7.2
Tot Alkalinity 115
Adj Alkalinity 106
Tot Hardness 160
How much liquid bleach would I need to bring back FC level?
Short answer: 231 ounces of 8.25% plain clorox laundry bleach. That's 2 full jugs leaving about a cup sloshing around in one.

But that's only the first installment on a SLAM. Within a couple hours, you'll no doubt need more. How much? Nobody knows without testing it. That's why one of the prerequisites to performing the SLAM is a FAS-DPD test kit. You won't be able to run back and forth to the pool store fast enough to get it tested and dosed every two hours. By the time you get back the test results will be outdated and obsolete.

How much powder have you added to that pool so far, and what kinds? Two pounds of that clorox stuff wouldn't raise CYA to 30. Not possible unless your pool is the smallest intex made. So you've added more chemicals than you're admitting, or the pool store test is wrong. And if that test is wrong, how can you rely on any other tests they perform.

You need to invest in a proper test kit. Period.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reattaching new gasket. Can someone tell what I need to be balanced before I slam the pool again? example PH, Hardness, etc?
You need to know your new pH and CYA after refilling. It'll need time to mix before you test. If you don't have the proper test kit as listed in the SLAM article, you have a very slim chance of a speedy successful SLAM.

Prerequisites:
  • You need to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test
  • You also need to know your current CYA level, and then look up the corresponding FC shock level. You can use the The Chlorine/CYA Chart at Pool School to find the correct FC shock level for your CYA level.
  • It is best to use bleach or liquid chlorine when SLAMing. You will want to have enough on hand to raise the FC level to shock level at least a couple of times. It is especially important to avoid using dichlor when SLAMing, as it will raise CYA far too quickly.
  • Make sure the pool is free of leaves and other debris (at least as much as possible).
  • Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.
  • Run the pump 24/7 until you are done SLAMing

Thank you for all your help with getting me started. :)

I do have DPD test kit but only tests for Chlorine an PH. I will order the TF-100 this week. How long does it usually take to receive. So in the mean time, filter working good and I have started to slam the pool again. Put in approx 2.5 gallons of bleach yesterday. Do you know what I need to you as a stabilizer for the chlorine right now? PH is at 7.6 and Low TA, CYA 40 and Chlorine is about 1.0 for the last 24 hrs but not getting a reading FC yet on test strips I have.

As of today. Test results are now : FC 0.12
TC 1.41
CC 1.29
TA 111
PH 7.6
CH 140
CYA 22
Copper 0.1
Iron 0.2
I plan to increase calcium and shock again tonite. Should I continue to shock until FC is at 3?
You don't need calcium in an aboveground pool.

If you believe the pool store results, your CYA is 22, so shock level is 10 FC. You need to raise it to that and add more every few hours to keep it up there. It will be easier when you have the right test kit in your paws. Until then, do the best you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.