Should I ditch my Buster Crabbe pool?

May 3, 2015
Cleveland TN
We just purchased a house with a Buster Crabbe pool built in 1990. Unfortunately the pool liner, which is less than 5 years old, has come loose on a corner in the deep end. The pool was winterized because the house was unoccupied, and it appears the water level was dropped and the liner shrank. One of the other corners is very tightly pulled and the liner looks like it's ready to split. The company who replaced the liner tried to fix it.The owner of the company came back today to check it out and said if they were able to fix it, it would be out again in a week. Should I put a new liner in the pool or make a garden spot? Will this be a continuous problem or will proper upkeep keep this from happening?

Attachments

• 20150515_151245.jpg
    20150515_151245.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 126
Welcome to TFP!

While I'm not an authority on vinyl liners, I do know that they eventually need to be replaced. I wouldn't give up on the pool, especially one built in 1990 just because it needs a replacement liner. With proper care, it should last longer than 5 years, though. Hopefully someone with first-hand experience on vinyl liners will chime in with more details.

It pays to buy a quality (thicker) liner, the cheap ones may only last 5 years or so, but the better quality ones if not abused can last 10-12 years, perhaps longer if you are lucky. Overall I would say abuse either physical or chemical is the biggest killer of vinyl liners.

It pays to buy a quality (thicker) liner, the cheap ones may only last 5 years or so, but the better quality ones if not abused can last 10-12 years, perhaps longer if you are lucky. Overall I would say abuse either physical or chemical is the biggest killer of vinyl liners.

My Grandfather had a pool built in the late 80's... in ground I think 15x30 with a 7.5 ft deep end ( if memory serves me right ) |

That line lasted him from late 80's until 2012 when all of the grand kids were grown up and nobody was using the pool and he decided to fill it in. Drained the water and by the end of the day the liner was crumbling into pieces ( touching it resulted in crumbling )

So yes a liner properly maintained and cared for can last a LONG time ( 20+ years in this case ) There were patches here and there and I think one small spot where the liner slipped out of the coping every few seasons but it never gave him any major issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.