Replace Pump & Filter??

Dec 28, 2014
Edmond, OK
So...not sure where to start. I bought a house with a pool about 6 months ago and only recently opened it. I have had trouble getting the water clear - appears cloudy/murky etc. There was algae and I shocked it. It is now maintaining a chlorine level of 4 but still cloudy. Turns out the CYA level is high at 100. Thinking this is due to the shock I used which has the conditioner in it. In addition to all of this I am getting next to ZERO suction through the skimmer and hardly any return through the jets. I had someone out to look at the pool and he is recommending I replace the pump and filter and the plumbing. The 2" PVC goes down to 1.5" and then back to 2" which is causing the return issue. He says the cartridge filter is way undersized for my pool. All of this is a little overwhelming and I am not sure where to start...

1. Do I drain half the pool and add back water to fix the high CYA issue? This was the recommendation I received from a friend who had a similar issue.
2. Do I floc the water to see if I can knock down the cloudiness and vacuum it up - although this will be tough with limited suction...right?
3. Do I just bite the bullet and replace the equipment now? Knowing that I will have to do it in the near term regardless of what happens this year.
4. If so...what type of unit should I buy? And the potential cost?

Just looking for some advice if any of you have gone through this. Any help would be appreciated!

****I am reading the forum tutorial on how to post pictures - so hopefully there will be pictures below :)

Hi jordaanderson....I am surprised nobody has responded to you. I would suggest looking up the capacity of that filter. Just by looking at it, it appears itsy bitsy for a 30,000 gallon pool. I have same size and I have a Pentair CCP420.

When my filters get dirty or high up in PSI...my pressure is greatly reduced.

Your CYA shouldn't be impacting your flow...but I will be the first to admit I am a BIGTIME amateur.

Reduce CYA by replacing water. Are you chlorine or SWG? If you use chlorine pucks, you will continually increase your CYA. The more CYA, the more chlorine needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply.

I think I violated a forum rule and failed to keep my post/question simple. I was frustrated and had a lot of things I was wanting to address. I have since had a pool company out and we are replacing the filter. We did confirm the pump is working fine. In addition I am draining the pool now to get my CYA levels back to normal. Thanks again for your suggestions!

I to am surprised no one else answered :confused:

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

What are you replacing the filter with?? Generally you want a larger filter and a smaller pump.....

You should have you r test kit early in the week so we can see some numbers.

Totally blew by me.

If you trust pool store results and have reason to agree that CYA is 100 or more then I would drain and refill as a start. 100 is the max of the test so it could be 200 or 300, we've seen it plenty.

This is my favorite pump lately, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

I would go with a big cartridge filter, C&C 420 or 520 or a big sand filter. I am a Pentair guy, nothing wrong with Hayward, I'm just not familiar with it.

Then once you get your test kit we can see how the results look and start working on a SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Floc is not on the list of Recommended Pool Chemicals and I don't know anything about it.

i would upsize your filter first and see how the flow is. last step would be the pump. i would also cut out that piping at the intake and replace with 2" at the same time since that's a low cost item.

people like the variable speed pumps, but i don't see the justification for the increase in costs. a simple dual speed pump will last longer and you will still get the benefits of being able to run the pump at a lower RPM. variable has the bells and whistles, but you aren't changing the speeds constantly anyway, you are going to settle at a speed and leave it. lot more things to break on a variable.

the issue is most likely the filter. the pump is probably fine. run that pump till its dead and then replace.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all. Getting a new filter installed today that should be the longterm fix. Appreciate the advice!

Right now my chems are as such:
FC 0
Alk 200
ph 7.8
CYA 150 - despite having just drained more than a third of the pool and adding fresh water to try and lower the CYA. UGH!!!

***This is just using a test strip as I should be getting my TF100 today. Although I will be in Denver for the next 3 days. Hopefully my swamp doesn't get worse while I am gone. Thinking I will just add 3 gallons of Clorox as that might help a little until I can return and start my SLAM???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.