Heliocol vs. Pentair heat exchanger

May 28, 2015
Scottsdale
We have a 7-10,000 gallon in-ground, gunnite/plaster pool. We are adding a heater and have decided to use a heat exchanger, rather than a gas heater. Heating is not necessary between June 1 and mid-to-late September (80 degree pool temp without heater). Any opinions about a Heliocol vs. Pentair heat exchanger? Both would be 125,000 BTU. Heliocol salesman says Pentairs do not function well when temperature drops below 55 degrees - so might not work during March, October and November. We will also change a single speed Pentair filter pump (2 HP) to a Pentair Intelliflo, and have been offered both the VS+ (3 HP), and the i2 (2 HP). Thanks for any help.

abgsbca2012

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, the Heliocol will not be adding too much heat when the temp is below 55 degrees either. The nice thing about the solar though is that there are no real costs after the install ... although the install might be 4x the cost of a heat exchanger.

I would just get the regular VS pump (not the i2) ... although really, a 2-speed motor change would be a cheaper option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.