11 jugs of bleah?! Is this right???

JayGee

Aug 7, 2008
I know I said I was a-gunna clean it but just hadn't been able to get it started. Well, I've finally getting around to cleaning my green water pool/frog pond. :rant:
I was reading the section on this site from the pool school. It said to check hourly and add chlorine as needed to maintain shock level.

I question whether I've really figured out this pool calculator. If I've read and done all right, my shock level is "37." Uhh, 37 what? FC level?

"Assuming" I've tested correctly, I'm at 9 FC now. (false start) Then according to the Pool Calculator I'm going to need 10 gallons 3 quarts 2 cups 2 oz or 14.5 (96 oz) jugs just to bring it to shock level. Izzat right?!?:hammer:

My numbers (just tested it) now are...
FC... 9
CC... 0
TC... 8?
pH... 6.8
T/A..40
CH... 90
CYA. 65

Please HALP!! pleeze!!!

According to the Chlorine CYA chart http://www.troublefreepool.com/chlorine-cya-chart-t2346.html, with a CYA of 65, your shock chlorine level is around 25 ppm. According to the Pool calculator http://www.poolcalculator.com/, increasing chlorine from 9 to 25 ppm will take 8.3 96 oz jugs of 6% bleach. (I'm using the 24,000 gal pool size in your sig.)

However, with 9 ppm free chlorine and 0 ppm combined chlorine, why do you want to shock? These two indicate the water's fine.

For future reference, with CH of 90 ppm, a TA of 40 ppm, and a vinyl pool, you could use cal hypo for the occasional shocking. A couple of pounds of cal hypo each year will bring your CH up a bit, but you could easily manage 150 ppm. Bringing your pool to shock level would take 71 ounces or 4.4 pounds of 73% cal hypo. This is easier to handle than 8.3 jugs of liquid.

"However, with 9 ppm free chlorine and 0 ppm combined chlorine, why do you want to shock? These two indicate the water's fine."

The water is an opaque green and frogs are swimming in it. I would like to clear the wild life before closing it for the winter.

I don't no what I'm doing wrong then. I just stuck my numbers in again and the blue band at the bottom says suggested FC levels and the box next to mustard algae shock reads "37." The top box reads (copy and paste here) 10 gallons 3 quarts 2 cups 2 oz or 14.5 (96 oz) jugs
Can you tell me what I've done wrong??? :oops:

You were doing everything right except for picking mustard algae shock level. For a standard green pool there is no reason to go up to mustard algae shock level. All you really need is standard shock level, which is FC raised to between 19 (Pool Calculator) and 26 (Chlorine/CYA chart). Shocking to anywhere in that range will be fine. Higher shock levels clean things up more quickly, but the lower end of the range works just fine as well.

Keep in mind that your FC level will have fallen quickly since the last time you tested, so test FC again right before adding bleach to be sure you add the right amount of bleach. Also, you will need to add bleach to bring things back up to shock level frequently, see this article for detailed advice on cleaning up a green swamp.

Before you start shocking, you should bring the TA and PH up by adding some baking soda. You should bring TA up to at least 70, which is about 10 lbs of baking soda. After the baking soda has had a little while to mix in (say an hour), double check that the PH is at least 7.0. If the PH is below 7.0, raise it to at least 7.0 with soda ash or washing soda or borax. Once the FC level goes above 15 the PH test is not reliable, so it is best to do this before shocking.

Wrong value(gigo!)! Enter correct value & use less bleach. Yeah! I can go with that! :goodjob:
Thanks! :handshake:

I have read & re-read that article. Printed it out and keep it handy. I guess my reading comprehension ain't what it once was.

One thing though. Both you and that article refer to the chlorine dropping quickly. But it doesn't. I had the chlorine at 6 the day before yesterday and by next morning it had only dropped to 2.

Then yesterday early I brought it up to 9(still fumbling about how much to use). By yesterday evening there was no remarkable drop.
Still dark out so I haven't checked it this morning.

In summer I've got the chlorine a little high (just a couple points) and had it take almost a week to come back down.
Can y'all explain that 'un please?

Re: 11 jugs of bleach?! Is this right???

JayGee said:
I know I said I was a-gunna clean it but just hadn't been able to get it started. Well, I've finally getting around to cleaning my green water pool/frog pond. :rant:
I was reading the section on this site from the pool school. It said to check hourly and add chlorine as needed to maintain shock level.

I question whether I've really figured out this pool calculator. If I've read and done all right, my shock level is "37." Uhh, 37 what? FC level?

"Assuming" I've tested correctly, I'm at 9 FC now. (false start) Then according to the Pool Calculator I'm going to need 10 gallons 3 quarts 2 cups 2 oz or 14.5 (96 oz) jugs just to bring it to shock level. Izzat right?!?:hammer:

FC... 9
CC... 0
TC... 8?
pH... 6.8
T/A..40
CH... 90
CYA. 65

Please HALP!! pleeze!!!

JayGee,

Tell us what your water looks like and how long it's been like that. Also post your water temp if you haven't done so.

Almost everyone who starts this process is surprised at how much bleach is used.

JayGee said:

FC... 9
CC... 0
TC... 8?
pH... 6.8
T/A..40
CH... 90
CYA. 65

Please HALP!! pleeze!!!

Just wondering ... What are you using to test your pool; or is a pool store doing the testing?

I've cut the pool store umbilical. can't say I'm on my hind legs yet by any means.

Testing with the TF100 kit from here.

The water is an opaque (can't see bottom or sides. Can make out the first step down) dark olive green largely free of debris. Been like this since the (last) hurricane.
I don't have a water thermometer. Climate conditions have been mostly sunny and cool, day time temps in the mid 70s. nights in the 50s.
That help?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That help?
Sure does...now we know where you are starting from.

Bringing your FC up to around 25ppm will start the process. Just keep in mind it is a process and not a one-time dosage of bleach. You must KEEP you FC up around 25ppm constantly to clear your pool. That means having to add bleach at least once daily and two-three times is better...each time bringing it back to 25ppm. (The precise number of 25ppm is not critical....what's critical is that you continue to check and bring it back up to close to that number.

There are several articles in pool school that will help you get your pool clear. Run your pump 24/7, backwash/clean as necessary and keep the FC up.....You're gonna' need more than you think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.