Any reason why I should avoid Redmax bleach?

critterdoc

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 11, 2008
30.0217 -090.2403
182 oz RedMac 6.0% is one buck less expensive than 182 oz Clorox 6.15% at our local Lowes. I cannot find 12% anywhere in this backwater town [the greater New Orleans area] so I guess 6% will have to do. The appearance of the two products differs in that RedMax has a mildly greener cast compared to Clorox. Over time the saving might be worthwhile but not at the risk of RedMax being an inferior product. What say you BBB gurus about RedMax as a sanitizer?

The party line is that ant unscented bleach that's not a gel is ok to use in the pool. Just be sure to check the ingredients for anything not sodium hypochlorite or water.

Given the current economy, saving $1 whenever you can is a good thing 8)

waste said:
The party line is that ant unscented bleach that's not a gel is ok to use in the pool. Just be sure to check the ingredients for anything not sodium hypochlorite or water.

Given the current economy, saving $1 whenever you can is a good thing 8)
I was unable to find anything specific on the 94% "other" ingredients in KIK International's RedMax online. As matter of fact I was not able to find much of anything on RedMax online except for an english MSDS [http://tinyurl.com/5lbw53] for KIK International's "Germicidal Ultra Bleach" which only describes the Hazardous Ingredient named as Sodium Hypochlorite and the New Jersey Pesticide Control Program [http://tinyurl.com/5tulyn] reference sheet that also only specifies the Active Ingredient of Sodium Hypochlorite.

It has not occurred to me that RedMax smells scented, but I'm not sure what scented bleach smells like any way and I'm not sure I want to go off the wire running sniff test of various bleaches. :roll:

Doc,

I've had good luck finding 12% bleach at a specialty store that supplies pressure washing businesses. It's not really cheaper (by much) but it's a little more convenient. Depending on location, it might be for you, as well.

Meanwhile, Any brand of bleach that contains just chlorine and water is fine.

I may be late to this thread but I'll chime in anyway. Any product manufactured by KIK is good. They all come off the same lines and their quality is the best in the industry. All that should vary is the concentration.

Our Leows carries Redmax. I used many bottles of that and Target brand bleach for shocking this fall. They seemed identical except the Redmax is a little more expensive (in my one horse town anyways) and the Redmax was a little "yellower" in color. I use the Target bleach when I can get it, the Redmax when I have to get some right away and cannot go the Target (45 min away).

I've been using RedMax as well (from Lowe's). It's worked successfully for me so far. What are you paying there? Here you have to buy it in packs (boxes actually) of two 182 oz jugs.

Cabinetman said:
Found a pdf from Minnesota well shocking web site listing at 6% on page 6 of the pdf the bottle says the manufacturer is Hi-Lex
Thanks for pointing me to that site, cabinetman! :cheers: I am from MN and didn't even know that site existed :oops: It has some great info for shocking wells that I have not been able to find in one place before...and sanctioned by a governing authority.

For anyone else interested here is the url: http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/wells/waterquality/disinfection.html#when

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.