Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any reason why I should avoid Redmax bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any reason why I should avoid Redmax bleach?

182 oz RedMac 6.0% is one buck less expensive than 182 oz Clorox 6.15% at our local Lowes. I cannot find 12% anywhere in this backwater town [the greater New Orleans area] so I guess 6% will have to do. The appearance of the two products differs in that RedMax has a mildly greener cast compared to Clorox. Over time the saving might be worthwhile but not at the risk of RedMax being an inferior product. What say you BBB gurus about RedMax as a sanitizer?
    20K gal gunite, plaster in poor condition post Katrina
    1.0 or 1.5 hp primary pump
    Polaris 280 and Polaris pump
    Her name is: Free To Good Home :wave:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any reason why I should avoid Redmax bleach?

The party line is that ant unscented bleach that's not a gel is ok to use in the pool. Just be sure to check the ingredients for anything not sodium hypochlorite or water.

Given the current economy, saving $1 whenever you can is a good thing 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    The party line is that ant unscented bleach that's not a gel is ok to use in the pool. Just be sure to check the ingredients for anything not sodium hypochlorite or water.

Given the current economy, saving $1 whenever you can is a good thing 8)
    I was unable to find anything specific on the 94% "other" ingredients in KIK International's RedMax online. As matter of fact I was not able to find much of anything on RedMax online except for an english MSDS [http://tinyurl.com/5lbw53] for KIK International's "Germicidal Ultra Bleach" which only describes the Hazardous Ingredient named as Sodium Hypochlorite and the New Jersey Pesticide Control Program [http://tinyurl.com/5tulyn] reference sheet that also only specifies the Active Ingredient of Sodium Hypochlorite.

It has not occurred to me that RedMax smells scented, but I'm not sure what scented bleach smells like any way and I'm not sure I want to go off the wire running sniff test of various bleaches.
    20K gal gunite, plaster in poor condition post Katrina
    1.0 or 1.5 hp primary pump
    Polaris 280 and Polaris pump
    Her name is: Free To Good Home :wave:

4. Back To Top    #4

If it doesn't say scented, then it's unscented - the 6% is a good indication that it doesn't have the scenting ingredients.

Sounds like it's just regular bleach that costs less - go for it
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Doc,

I've had good luck finding 12% bleach at a specialty store that supplies pressure washing businesses. It's not really cheaper (by much) but it's a little more convenient. Depending on location, it might be for you, as well.

Meanwhile, Any brand of bleach that contains just chlorine and water is fine.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I may be late to this thread but I'll chime in anyway. Any product manufactured by KIK is good. They all come off the same lines and their quality is the best in the industry. All that should vary is the concentration.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

7. Back To Top    #7

Our Leows carries Redmax. I used many bottles of that and Target brand bleach for shocking this fall. They seemed identical except the Redmax is a little more expensive (in my one horse town anyways) and the Redmax was a little "yellower" in color. I use the Target bleach when I can get it, the Redmax when I have to get some right away and cannot go the Target (45 min away).
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

I've been using RedMax as well (from Lowe's). It's worked successfully for me so far. What are you paying there? Here you have to buy it in packs (boxes actually) of two 182 oz jugs.
    24,000 G, Sand, IG, Vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

Found a pdf from Minnesota well shocking web site listing at 6% on page 6 of the pdf the bottle says the manufacturer is Hi-Lex
    Attached Files Attached Files

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinetman
    Found a pdf from Minnesota well shocking web site listing at 6% on page 6 of the pdf the bottle says the manufacturer is Hi-Lex
    Thanks for pointing me to that site, cabinetman! I am from MN and didn't even know that site existed It has some great info for shocking wells that I have not been able to find in one place before...and sanctioned by a governing authority.

For anyone else interested here is the url: http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/e...tion.html#when
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.