AutoPilot control unit gone bad?

ColinT

May 26, 2015
Riverhead, NY
My AutoPilot DIG-220 (7 years old) appears to have stopped generating chlorine. No error messages, no luck with any of the company suggested troubleshooting tactics. I called the local company that built the pool for a service call.

The technician told me that the power supply in the AutoPilot Control box was faulty and not providing consistent power. In addition he said that while doing his diagnostics the Temp Sensor message came on. He said I could replace the power supply module for $850 (plus labor) or just get a whole new control box for $900 plus labor.

After he left I checked the system and sure enough there is a message "Warning! Bad Temp Sensor". As I said, there were no warning messages before he did his diagnosis. Before calling the office to authorize the repair I did a search for the control box online and see multiple suppliers selling it for $698 and none higher. Thinking his $900 price might include the labor I called the office. I was told that the box is $850 plus $150 labor. I said the box was available online for $698 but that I understood it might be a little more from the local supplier, but that $150 more seemed a lot. I was told rather rudely that the price is what is.

Can I be relatively comfortable that the box is bad and needs to be replaced? Is there any way I can verify that? Could it in fact be the Temp Sensor and should I just try replacing that first?

BTW. I've been looking over the forum for clues and see that most of your suggestions begin with the SLAM. I have already ordered the suggested test kit in anticipation of that suggestion. Due to a stupid mistake when opening the pool two weeks I virtually pumped all the water out, so it is mostly new water.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like there are 2 issues here.

1) You may not be getting the proper power to the cell from the control unit. If you are able to get in touch with me by phone or e-mail I can provide instructions on what to check here.

2) The temperature / sale reading could be related to either the control unit or the tri-sensor. We may be a bit more limited on the troubleshooting we can do here but we can do a few things to start with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.