Winterize Autopilot????

May 8, 2007
El Paso, Texas
I don't "close" my pool for the winter, I live in El Paso, it does get below freezing and we get snow a couple of times during the winter, I do have the freeze protection timer that kicks on when the outside temp goes below 32.

This will be my first winter with the Auto Pilot DIG 220, its wired up to my timer. Is there any special precautions that I need to take this winter for the Auto Pilot?

Thanks

I just have to say, that I installed the Auto Pilot in May, and thoughout the summer I have enjoyed not having to add clorine (bleach). What a great product!!

As long as the freeze protection circuit works you will be fine. The automatic temperature compensation will turn the percentage down to 1% when the water gets seriously cold, which should be plenty. Some people prefer to turn the SWG off and manually add bleach when the water is really cold. With AutoPilot units this is not required, but some people like to do it anyway.

Hate to hijack but didn't want to start a new thread..... What about winterizing my P-Pilot in PA?? We close pools here!! Brought my Cell / Manifold inside and fabbed a cover from a Tuperware tub to protect the brain. Its not sealed tight but it covers all sides and back - I can post pix if ya wanna see it.
I'm wondering if the box (dark blue) will favor condensation and screw it up? What do you all do with the controller in northern winters?
Thanks - you have NO idea how MUCH you've helped me (us)!
Mike

I have had mine for 3 years, didn't cover it 2 prior years. Put a tarp over everything this year. If you have a sticker on the side of the unit with model/serial # write it down. The sun bleached my label out.

Mike,

Your control unit should be fine if you left it alone outdoor. However, I know some that has attached 220 plugs for removal and storage indoor.
Still others do as you did, just cover it with some sort of fabricated cover or as Dave did, place a tarp over it.

What you don't want is water (snow) melting and getting into the unit, especially onto the circuit boards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.