Sight Glass Leaking

Aug 19, 2014
Shickshinny/PA
Please help! My husband opened our pool and I noticed that the sight glass is leaking when I'm trying to backwash. It has no water in it during normal filter mode. He said that he installed everything the exact way that it was last year, but something is definitely wrong. We have a Triton Sand Dollar filter with a hayward pump.

Thanks!!!

There should only be water in it when you are backwashing ... so it does not matter if it is empty in filter mode (that is normal).

Also, I would not let a little leaking bother me since it will only happen while you are backwashing.

I have some slight leaking near the backwash sight glass. It's been that way for a couple of years. Wouldn't sweat it. One tip I can give you is, look for a drain plug on the backwash pipe. If you have one, lubricate it with a spray lube or a drop or two of oil and give it a twist. In winter, make sure that all water is drained from the backwash pipe to prevent freezing. The small leak I have was likely caused by freezing water in the backwash pipe before I became educated about pool management.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.