Pump won't prime

May 28, 2015
Illinois
Last week we barely got the pump primed but it wouldn't stay. We have tried everything we can think of including changing all the seals and gaskets. The pump sounds fine and seems to send water to the filter. When we turn the pump off the basket refills with water from the filter.

Any ideas or suggestions? We are completely stumped!

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing to do is to verify that all winterizing plugs have been removed from the returns and the skimmer(s), and that all valves are in the right positions.

Next, check the skimmer to see if it is full of water, that the weir is able to move freely and that the water level is about halfway up.

What does your pressure gauge read when the pump is running? Any water leaks while the pump is running or when you shut it off?

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing to do is to verify that all winterizing plugs have been removed from the returns and the skimmer(s), and that all valves are in the right positions.

Next, check the skimmer to see if it is full of water, that the weir is able to move freely and that the water level is about halfway up.

What does your pressure gauge read when the pump is running? Any water leaks while the pump is running or when you shut it off?

Yes, all the plugs are removed. We had the pump running a couple of times for a few hours and then it would lose pressure although a couple of the jets were bubbling. After the pump runs and we turn it off because of no water flow into the housing, the water flows from the filter back into the basket and there is a lot of pressure when unscrewing the basket lid.

Could it be something with filter? It sounds like water is going to the filter but it doesn't leave.

So stumped.....:confused: Thank you to anyone with ideas or suggestions!!! We're desperate!

Yes, all the plugs are removed. We had the pump running a couple of times for a few hours and then it would lose pressure although a couple of the jets were bubbling. After the pump runs and we turn it off because of no water flow into the housing, the water flows from the filter back into the basket and there is a lot of pressure when unscrewing the basket lid.

Could it be something with filter? It sounds like water is going to the filter but it doesn't leave.

So stumped.....:confused: Thank you to anyone with ideas or suggestions!!! We're desperate!

Stupid question, but did you check your skimmer door? Mine was sticking which was causing my pump to lose prime until it fixed the skimmer door.

Pierre

Look at the plumbing on the suction side of the pump, try tightening any unions or taping/ tightening threaded fittings. Make sure the plugs on your pump are tight and that they have decent o rings. If your pool has black pvc plumbing underground try tightening the clamps.

A suction leak will cause your pump to lose prime or not prime at all and usually will not present itself as air can get into the plumbing but water can't get out.

I really wish it were something easy like that. I did actually check though and it's not stuck. :(
Thanks though!

- - - Updated - - -

Look at the plumbing on the suction side of the pump, try tightening any unions or taping/ tightening threaded fittings. Make sure the plugs on your pump are tight and that they have decent o rings. If your pool has black pvc plumbing underground try tightening the clamps.

A suction leak will cause your pump to lose prime or not prime at all and usually will not present itself as air can get into the plumbing but water can't get out.

Maybe we can get a plumber to redo some of that piping that might be suspect. It is pretty old so maybe that is where the problem is. So frustrating after I dumped a bunch of chemical in the pool when I though we had it a couple of days ago.

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.