Going to be plumbing in a new filter... Should I plumb in a bypass?

Frayed

Aug 2, 2013
Eastern WA
My new cartridge filter is out for delivery according to UPS tracking, so I plan to start the process of getting it plumbed in tonight after work. Until now I've had a sand media filter with a multiport valve on top. This season after opening the pool it was discovered that the sand media filter is kaput, and if water flows through it the sand comes out of it, so I've opted to replace the whole unit with a cartridge filter. Until a few days ago I had never used the "recirculate" setting on my multiport, but in preparation to SLAM my pool once the new filter is installed (it's currently swamplike) I wanted to get some CYA and Muriatic Acid in the water to the the PH and CYA levels where I wanted them, so I needed to get the water moving.

Aside from this situation, I've never used that setting on the multiport; I've only used always filter, backwash, rinse, or waste. What would you guys do if you were plumbing in a new filter system? I purchased enough valves to plumb in a filter bypass, but returning extra parts to the store is never a bad thing. Any strong feelings or compelling reasons to go one way or the other?

Thanks!

I would suggest you add a 3-way valve between the pump and the filter to use as a waste option. No need for recirculate ... if you want to do that, just remove the cartridge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.