Fall Pool Build in NJ

baronfaroo

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2008
South Jersey
I'm "new" to the forum (first post) although I've been reading posts on here for quite some time. Just want to share some pics from our recent pool build. It's not as fancy as some of the others I've seen on this forum but it's all we really need.

Here's our (un-maintained) backyard before the dig. You can probably see the paint lines. And the remains of our small wood deck - we replaced it with a composite deck (more like a landing).

paintline-lookingE.jpg

paintline-lookingW.jpg

Here's some pics of the dig. I still can't believe it only took them 1 day to do this.

dig-lookingE.jpg

Our kiddos and the backhoe.

RaeKevbackhoe.jpg

Then they set the steel walls, steps, equipment (filter and pumps), and lay the pipe.

wall-lookingE.jpg

wall-lookingW.jpg

As you can see, we went with 1.5 inch flex PVC. I know it's not the "recommended" size and type of pipe, but with a 2 speed pump and no water features there wasn't much energy savings (not much backpressure loss) versus the 2 inch pipe. My PB said the termite issue with flex pipe was solved by using a different PVC composition. Plus the majority of the flex pipe was encased in the concrete collar.

concretebase-southwall.jpg

concretebase-deependwall.jpg

Then they backfill the walls. You can see a couple of the deck support braces. We didn't have as many as I have seen on other vinyl pools. Our PB said that it wasn't necessary since we have a cantilever edge which is supported by the entire length of the flange on top of the pool wall - one of the advantages of going with a cantilever edge versus the aluminum coping. I guess time will tell if it's true.

backfill-lookingE.jpg

backfill-lookingW.jpg

Here's the prep work for the decking - grid and holes for numerous deck piers.

concreteform-lookingW.jpg

concreteform-lookingWdeepend.jpg

concreteform-lookingNWhouseside.jpg

Then the decking gets poured. The choice was stamped concrete and less deck space (sq ft) or basic brushed concrete and more deck space. We went with the latter choice since everyone seems to agree to maximize deck space.

concrete-lookingNE.jpg

concrete-lookingNW.jpg

Then the floor gets formed and the liner is put in place. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the floor since they put in the liner immediately afterwards (and I was at work). The PB says they do this so that the floor doesn't dry too quickly and crack.

liner-pre-cutlookingE.jpg

liner-pre-cutlookingW.jpg

Then we fill with water. This took a couple of days to fill.

poolfilling-lookingE.jpg

poolfilling-lookingW.jpg

Here's some pics of the equipment pad. The first pic shows the original layout. I didn't like it since the SWG was in an awkward location. So the PB moved it to a better spot.

equippad-filter.jpg

equippad.jpg

equippadvalves.jpg

So that's where we're at so far. The PB still needs to install a perimeter drain and laydown 6 tons of river rock around the pool. Once that gets done (scheduled for next week) I'll post some more pics. Then we'll have to work on the landscaping and lawn.

I did order the TF100 test kit from Duraleigh as everyone has recommended. I haven't used it yet since the PB is maintaining our water until closing. They're waiting a couple of weeks for the concrete to fully cure before they drill into the decking to install our new SuperMesh cover. Thanks to everyone's posts on this forum. I've learned so much from all of you.

Hi, Ben,

Welcome to the forum. That is perhaps one of the neatest, cleanest sequence of construction pictures I've seen. It looks like you have a great Pool Builder. I am particularly impressed with the dig.....I have never seen one more precise.

Welcome to the forum. That'll be a great pool....keep the pics coming.

Nice pool. Thats the first IG vinyl pool ive seen built. They are very rare where we live. Mostly gunite. Anyway, I was curious to see how they encased the side plumbing in concrete. What happens if there is ever an issue with a pipe or leak? Seems like a major issue to break that all out.

I would think they would do like the gunite pools and have most of the plumbing accessible by just busting out the 4" deck which can easily be replaced.

Anyway, enjoy the pool. Looks great.

duraleigh : I was very impressed by the excavator - he operated that backhoe like it was his third arm. By the way, thanks for the quick delivery of the TF100 test kit. You run a great business.

smuggs : Very good guess. How did you know?

gregg123 : I have the same concern. The portion of the piping encased in concrete is the "seamless" flex PVC piping (no joints/couplings). I'm guessing that most leaks are at a joint or connection which are not in the concrete. Oh well, only time will tell.

Hi Ben and welcome to the forum. :wave:

What a great job with the pictorial! Your pool looks fabulous and your kiddos look happy.

We're waiting for the next set of pix. :wink:

BTW, congratulations on already having your TF100 kit and, a very nice job on your profile and signature!

baronraoo -

I live in woolwich too....saw the water tower and the backs of the houses looked at lot like either weatherby or lexington hill to me.

By the way, we just finished our first season with our new pool....great season no algae (just some challenges due to filling with our well water). Duraleigh's test kit is great...it, along with TFP and Jason's pool calculator will make life really easy for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.