Cya?... Wth?!

Sep 17, 2014
little rock ark
how long does it take for CYA to read after treatment (i.e. placing it in a sock and letting it be added)?!?! i added the recomended amount to the pool last week retested it today and its still unreadable by my test kit! i know im running a salt system, but my FC has went to poop, but the pool looks great! could the enormous amounts of rain be a factor in my levels?

That's less than 4 lbs, so is that the dose pool math called for? Volume correct? Anything else happening in your pool before this? Has there been a ton of backwashing/draining because of the rain?

You did some last week and 2 lbs this morning correct? When you test cya now is the water in the tube cloudy at all....or is it still clear? If you fill the tube up all the way past the 20 mark, and the dot is still visible....is it completely visible or is the water cloudy but the dot is still visible?

If its a little cloudy, then you have some CYA....Just need to add more.

I just did pool math for you....I used 15k gallons like mine.....Going from 0 to 40 CYA it says to add 5lbs.

there has been a lot of over flow.... we have had a record level of rain this spring.... pool has looked good.. just clearing it up... i have had my salt water generator on full level all week hoping to increase the production of FC

central Arkansas 24ft, AG, sand filter, 1.5hp pump, just installed this July 2014, Tf100 kit, Real Pool Newbie
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
there is no cloudiness at all... doesn't it take a few days to circulate the CYA... i haven't retested it since i placed the sock this am

central Arkansas 24ft, AG, sand filter, 1.5hp pump, just installed this July 2014, Tf100 kit, Real Pool Newbie
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ok 5 days post CYA addition i rechecked and the tube was BARELY cloudy when testing the CYA... checked the FC and it was back to 0.. zip... zilch.... and i have had my salt water generator goiong full time medium level of production (geos to 8 i have it on 4)!?... again the pool looks great but the numbers?... not so much..... 0 FC, ph great 7.4, CYA (tube was berly cloudy after filling it to the top i cld still see the black spot the whole time...... i addeed another tube sock full of CYA to the skimmer, no holes in the sock i checked tht.... i also added a double dose of bleach = 144oz to bring the FC level back to something.... again we had 3-4" of rain in the last 2 days.. im at a loss here!?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

if i have to constantly add bleach (chorine) multiple times a week it sounds to me like the salt converter isnt doing a thing?

Maybe post a picture or a link to the cya product you are using. I have a feeling something is off here.

Your adding a ton of bleach because it is getting burnt off because your pool has near 0 cya. Why no cya is obviously the question. I wouldn't blame the SWG though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.