are variable speed pump woth the upgrade

Welcome to TFP!

It depends mainly on your electric rates. From a cost-benefit perspective, if your electric rate (cost per kWh) are less than $0.20, we recommend a 2-speed pump. Other factors to consider are how many water features (e.g., fountains, waterfall, etc.) will your pool have? What kind of pool cleaner will you use - robot or pressure-side? If pressure-side (e.g., Polaris-type) will you run it off the main pump or will you get a booster pump solely for the cleaner? If you have all of these features and want maximum control over them, a variable-speed (VS) will give you that flexibility.

Another consideration is that 2-speed pumps are a simpler design. They do not contain all the electronic controls that a VS pump has. Long Island can get its share of thunderstorms during the summer and if lightning strikes nearby, there always the risk that it could fry the electronic controls. This can be mitigated by getting a surge-suppressor for the VS pump - you just need to factor that into the cost.

I am setting up for a water fall in the future.i dont have .all the scratch for everything all at once .as for the cleaner i think from what ive read im leaning more towards the plug in type cleaner ,so i dont have to run that pump on high or get a separte pump or booster . ..

I love my Pentair VS pump. I am able to dial in whatever water flow I need for whatever situation. The one pump drives the skimmers/drain, filter, solar panels and waterfall. I would replace this pump with the same pump again without hesitation.

I run my skimmers and SWG at 1100 rpm which only draws 150 watts. When solar is available it jumps up to 1950 rpm, at about 500 watts, to increase water flow through the panels. Waterfall and skimmers is 1500 rpm. Brushing the pool to the bottom drain at 2500 rpm to help suck the dust out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.