When you open, is your pool green?

pisymbol

Gold Supporter
Jul 11, 2014
NJ
I have green water with green algae after they guys just came and opened it. They are I think going to SLAM it today.

Is this normal or was the pool not closed correctly last year? (based on reading, it seemed like the procedure they used was fine)

As i read in another thread, someone said "try to be the last one closed, and the first one opened". That's what i have done my first 2 years. i close late when the water is cold, and open in april when it's still cold. That way nothing should grow over the winter, especially if it is raised to shock level at closing. by opening early you have weeks to fix it if there is any problem, and reducing the chance of problems.

I agree with above when saying open early and close late. There are other factors to also consider such as what cover type you have for winter protection. I found a lot more issues with the walk on / safety covers than with a a vinyl cover as the sun is able to penetrate most of the safety versions.

Once the water gets above 60° then the green can turn quickly.

Other than a couple of worms my pool normally opens almost as blue and clean as when it is closed.

First time pool owner. We have a fiberglass pool 12X28. The pool was dormant for eight years. It had a cover on it, ripped and torn to threads. Had weeds growing from the cover. Tons of debris at the bottom. Drained the pool, used about 20 buckets of trash by hand. Then refilled it. The pump works great, fortunately. We now have it running great.
519c07ccce3ef0a6b040e5f81fefc288.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello, I just joined and we live in GA. Just retired a month ago from a flying career of 47 years. I look forward to learn a lot about pool ops. It has been a learning curve but with persistence we have gained a lot of ground. Looking forward to all of the banter and of course great information. Thanks for letting join.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have had a recent issue develop. We have had black spots show up on the walls and floor of the pool. We may have a fix albeit slow in working. We used two quarts of Pool Time Metal, Stain & Scale Out. After two days the spots have turned brown and some bleeding out of the stains. I may add a third quart to accelerate the progress. I will keep y'all posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day three. Blue is slowly coming back as the green algae dies. My overnight loss was 2ppm which isn't too bad. Keeping the pool at a shock level of FC 16-18 (CYA is 40ish).

All I can say for those reading this is get yourself a TF-100 kit, follow the SLAM procedure in Pool Schools and life is good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.