VS pump without electronic display?

sxch12

May 5, 2015
Novi MI
I figure electronics with water is never a good thing and has a much more likely to fail than just a simple switch. Is there a good VS pump that uses switches to change the speed instead of electronics? If not then is it better to get a 2 speed? Am I being too cynical? I want something that will last a very long time and not have to replace electronics every 5 yrs. or so. Please make recommendations. I currently have a Hayward super pump 1.5HP (1 1/2" pipes) and the motor has ceased so I have to either replace the motor but want a more energy efficient one that has at least 2 speeds. If I can just replace the motor and it's not too difficult that is an option too. But please tell me the replacement model number I need. I'm new to pools. Thank you.

Is there a good VS pump that uses switches to change the speed instead of electronics?
No, they all require electronic components. A two-speed is probably your best bet. The two speed version of your motor is the STS1102.

If I get the STS1102 motor is there any other parts or tools I need to install it? Is it hard? Also is that better than getting something like a pentair superflo VS 1.5HP pump instead of replacing the motor? This is the opportunity to either replace or fix. Thank you

You would just want to get a go-kit to replace the seals and gaskets. Difficulty depends on your skill set so it would be hard for me to say. Here are some videos that will show you what to do. Watch | WETHEAD Pump Repair Supply

Replacing the motor will cost a lot less than a new VS pump but if you get a rebate for the VS, that can be a better deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.