FC/CYA safe levels

Oct 21, 2008
Terre Haute, IN
I have read a few threads that all support that higher FC levels are okay and safe at higher CYA levels for proper sanitation. Using the Best Guess CYA chart I see the Min/max and shock levels. Is the max FC the same as the threshold needed for safe swiming again after a shock? Is there a chart somewhere that suggests the level where its okay to swim again if your runnning with a higher CYA's??? I know suggested levels most people say 5-10FC (i've seen debated threads over this value).

But does it take a long time with a CYA of 100 and taking it to 25ppm for a shock for it to come back down?? Could it mean days with no swimming? Live in midwest don't have the intense sun like the folks online here TX and FL areas.

Curious to know because before BBB I got my CYA up high by accident and plan to run with it for a while but need to know what I'm getting into should I need to give the pool a shot of 25ppm FC.

Yes, higher FC levels are safe at higher CYA levels. CYA "deactivates" some of the chorine, the more CYA the higher the percentage of chlorine that is locked up with the CYA. Because of that the active disinfecting chlorine level remains more or less the same when you follow the FC/CYA relationship outlined in this chart.

My personal rule of thumb is that anything below shock level for your CYA level and at or above the minimum level is safe. There is solid evidence to suggests that levels noticeably higher than that are also safe, but I like to be conservative.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.