Newbie...Hello all!... Opening the Swamp Thing

May 27, 2015
Edmond, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Like many of you, I have been reading and trying to follow your steps to open and maintain my FIRST season of owning a pool!

I have about 17,000 gal in ground gunite pool...Hayward sand filter, and 1 skimmer that is considerably stronger than the other (closer to the pumps, if I block the closer one, the other works).

Opening the 'Swamp Thing'...
What I have done so far...
Day1-vacuumed out as much oak moss and leaves that I can... Dumped probably 3 gallons of bleach...left filter run all night.
Day 2-vacuumed more(I think I got all the big chunks out now) turned my sweep on and let it run...later added soda ash (just because previous owners left it) and cyuranic acid in a sock and put it in skimmer...let that circulate for a while and then added 3 more gallons of bleach...

I have a few questions...

1) I can't find the tf100 kit Anywhere online or locally... What out of the three is the second best?
2) I KNOW I need to test (taking a sample to Leslie's tomorrow morning)...but is there anything else I need to start doing immediately? I am trying to flow the slam method, without a test kit it is tough (obviously)...but I am trying to get one...

Any other pieces of advice?

(Thanks in advance for any help, and thank you for the knowledge you all have given to the public!!!)

Ps. I was trying to post a pic of each day, but I don't think I can with the cell phone?)

Welcome to TFP! There is a link in my signature for the TF 100. Get the XL option and a speed stir.

While waiting for your test to arrive keep brushing and vacuuming and the filter running. You can safely add 2 ppm of bleach daily until you have your test kit and numbers. You can use pool math to figure out how much 2 ppm is.

We can't really give advice on pool test results.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you could update your signature with your pool info and equipment that would be great! You can do this in settings.

To post a pic if you have a smartphone you can upload photos to photobucket, then copy the IMG code and paste it here.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason I say only add 2ppm a day is we don't know your CYA and it could be 0

Welcome to TFP!

1) I can't find the tf100 kit Anywhere online or locally...
You can find it here: TFTestkits.net

2) I KNOW I need to test (taking a sample to Leslie's tomorrow morning)...
Wouldn't bother with pool store testing. It is notoriously inaccurate and is a loss-leader to get you in the store so they can sell you all sorts of unneeded chemicals and try to get you hooked on them. Ordering a test kit tonight would be a far better move.

What I have done so far...
Day1-vacuumed out as much oak moss and leaves that I can... Dumped probably 3 gallons of bleach...left filter run all night.
Day 2-vacuumed more(I think I got all the big chunks out now) turned my sweep on and let it run...later added soda ash (just because previous owners left it) and cyuranic acid in a sock and put it in skimmer...let that circulate for a while and then added 3 more gallons of bleach...
Good job on removing as much debris as you can from the pool. But, please, stop haphazardly dumping chemicals in the pool. Order a Recommended Test Kit tonight so you can run a series of tests and dose according to what is needed in the right amount. If you order it tonight, you will likely have it in 2-3 days and your pool's condition will not change radically in that amount of time.

BTW, you list your location as "Edmond". Is that in Oklahoma or ??? Please add a state - your general location is a factor in the advice we give.

Just order the kit, speedstir and XL option. Thanks! I think I attached the pic of the pool, day 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Day 2...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 43
Thank you. I mentioned I didn't have a test kit... I have the test strips that i know are not recommended by this site. (Again, left from the previous owner).

basically I didn't have any FC or CYA...from the forums, I gathered those were the two most important... So based on that info, although not good. From that information and the pool calculator, those were the pieces of information that I used to add the chemicals that I have done so far...

So, although I don't have the ideal test kit yet, I was trying to do my best to follow the TFPC method...

I do appreciate all the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well thanks... I honestly don't know what is a good time frame to turn a swamp around... I suspect it will be blue tomorrow... But not swim ready... Hopefully by next week I can get it tuned up to swim while continually learning to fine tune and keep it tuned!

I just appreciate all the the help from this board!