Chlorine level increases as it sits??

Jul 22, 2014
Sacramento/CA
I use the TF-100 test kit. Whenever I am testing for chlorine, whether it's free or total, I have noticed that as it sits it reads a higher level. In other words, when I first drop the 5 drops of test in the tube it is pale yellow, within as little as 10-15 seconds it is brighter yellow (or, is already reading a whole point higher). Same with the pink of the free chlorine. I could add a few drops of the test and it turns clear and stays that way for many seconds after swirling, then I look back at it a minute or so later and it's bright pink.

So, my question is, when is the best time to record the correct reading for chlorine? The second I am done swirling the test tube, or 10 seconds later, 20...???

Thank you!

PS. I use a salt water system, but shock and increase with bleach.

With the OTO test, a darkening points to the presence of CC.

For the FAS-DPD, add drops until it is clear and you are done with FC, then immediately do the CC test. It will always go back to pink if it sits.

With the OTO test, a darkening points to the presence of CC.

For the FAS-DPD, add drops until it is clear and you are done with FC, then immediately do the CC test. It will always go back to pink if it sits.

Got it! Thank you. As you can see (or may have guessed) I am opening my pool for the first time this year, and it needs to be SLAMed. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Read upon swirling. Don't wait ten seconds.

Perfect! Thank you again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.