Little Aussie Battler

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 10, 2007
Sydney Australia
Hi
Losing 1'' per day.The only thing I have changed is that I added a pool skim on one return line and a suction cleaner to the vacum line. I have checked all external plumbing and found no visible leaks. The return lines are not accessible as they are underground. The pump cavitates a little but the vacum line is 30mm pipe (the wall fitting is <30mm) so I think this would be normal when running the cleaner. The water level drops more when I run the cleaner. Any suggestions?
Thank you

Little Aussie Battler said:
The water level drops more when I run the cleaner.

Hi LAB,

Can't think of anything off hand that would leak worse with increased suction head, but it's still early... Have you checked to make sure you're not losing it from your backwash line? It's also possible the cleaner exposed some damage in the liner somewhere.

Any more hints? Perhaps you could leave the equipment off for a day and see if it still loses water, that would eliminate a few things for us.

Tim

spishex said:

Hi LAB,

Can't think of anything off hand that would leak worse with increased suction head, but it's still early... Have you checked to make sure you're not losing it from your backwash line? It's also possible the cleaner exposed some damage in the liner somewhere.

Any more hints? Perhaps you could leave the equipment off for a day and see if it still loses water, that would eliminate a few things for us.

Tim

Holley dooley! You are so right Tim. I could not believe it when I disconnected the backwash line and ran the filter pump.

Thank you mate.

How do I fix it Tim?

Are you talking about the water level in the Pump skimmer basket or the pool level?

Bubbles in the pump pot make me think suction side leak. It would make sense that there are more bubbles when the cleaner is hooked up. It will put more suction on the line and cause more air to be drawn in. Are there always bubbles in the pump pot, even without the cleaner?

Has the 1" of water loss just started recently? Have you done the bucket test yet? I ask because in some areas, 1" of water loss per week is normal.

HTH,
Adam

Ah, good!

You'll need to replace your diverter gasket ("spider gasket", the one in your multiport that looks like a wagon wheel). While you've got it apart, check to make sure the diverter & handle assembly are in good shape too. The springs get worn out from time to time.

Is it attached to the part that the connects to the filter or to the moving, spring-loaded diverter? If it's built into the moving part then you have to replace the whole thing. If it's down in the part still on the filter and seems to be glued in, then it probably is. Sometimes they have to come out in small bits. A razor blade and a lot of patience will get it done.

spishex said:
If it's down in the part still on the filter and seems to be glued in, then it probably is. Sometimes they have to come out in small bits. A razor blade and a lot of patience will get it done.

I removed the old gasket as best I could with a lot of patience, nail polish remover and metholated spirits. When I replaced the new gasket it still leaked, but just a trickle, so I inslalled a gate valve in the backwash line. All good now.

Thank you Tim

launboy said:

Are you talking about the water level in the Pump skimmer basket or the pool level?

Bubbles in the pump pot make me think suction side leak. It would make sense that there are more bubbles when the cleaner is hooked up. It will put more suction on the line and cause more air to be drawn in. Are there always bubbles in the pump pot, even without the cleaner?

Has the 1" of water loss just started recently? Have you done the bucket test yet? I ask because in some areas, 1" of water loss per week is normal.

HTH,
Adam

Hi Adam
There are always 2 or 3 large bubbles of air floating around in the pump pot. Is this normal?

Welcome to TFP, LAB !!

The bubbles shouldn't be there, but they are fairly normal and harmless as long as they stay ~ the same at all times. What it indicates is a small air leak in the suction line(s). There is an article in Pool School (linked in my sig) about leak detection - you may find a helpful hint therein :)

I think it's great that there are some Ausies here - y'all are opening up your pools as we're shutting ours down :goodjob: This should help keep us 'in shape' over our winter months :p

Congrats on stopping the backwash leak! The trickle is probably from either a slightly damaged channel or from a little piece of the old gasket still being there and preventing a full seal :( However, the ball valve is the easiest way to keep from loosing water when on 'Filter' Keep an eye on the returns for filter material bypassing the multi - if you get some, you'll have to reopen the multi and address the issue - we'll help!

Tim and Adam are 2 very helpful guys here :!: - you've gotten good advice :cheers:

Again, welcome - I hope you have nothing but a trouble free pool all season!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
waste said:
Welcome to TFP, LAB

Tim and Adam are 2 very helpful guys here :!: - you've gotten good advice :cheers: Yep, thanks very much guys

Again, welcome - I hope you have nothing but a trouble free pool all season!

Gidday waste, thank you for the official welcome. I am not sure about these bubbles though. I certainly get a pump pot full when I run the suction cleaner. I have checked the vacum line and there are no leaks, but air must be getting in somewhere?

As a matter of interest, how would I start my own pool service business? I am just thinking small part time pool cleaning and maintenance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.