Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool leak

Hi
    Losing 1'' per day.The only thing I have changed is that I added a pool skim on one return line and a suction cleaner to the vacum line. I have checked all external plumbing and found no visible leaks. The return lines are not accessible as they are underground. The pump cavitates a little but the vacum line is 30mm pipe (the wall fitting is <30mm) so I think this would be normal when running the cleaner. The water level drops more when I run the cleaner. Any suggestions?
    Thank you
    Pools come 2nd to Sydney's golden beaches?

21000g IG concrete pool (painted over marblesheen)
    1.5hp Waterco pump
    24"Waterco sand filter(artificial sand)
    SWCG
    Location Sydney Australia

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool leak

Quote Originally Posted by Little Aussie Battler
    The water level drops more when I run the cleaner.
    Hi LAB,

Can't think of anything off hand that would leak worse with increased suction head, but it's still early... Have you checked to make sure you're not losing it from your backwash line? It's also possible the cleaner exposed some damage in the liner somewhere.

Any more hints? Perhaps you could leave the equipment off for a day and see if it still loses water, that would eliminate a few things for us.

Tim

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    Hi LAB,

Can't think of anything off hand that would leak worse with increased suction head, but it's still early... Have you checked to make sure you're not losing it from your backwash line? It's also possible the cleaner exposed some damage in the liner somewhere.

Any more hints? Perhaps you could leave the equipment off for a day and see if it still loses water, that would eliminate a few things for us.

Tim
    Holley dooley! You are so right Tim. I could not believe it when I disconnected the backwash line and ran the filter pump.

Thank you mate.

How do I fix it Tim?

1.5hp Waterco pump
    SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you talking about the water level in the Pump skimmer basket or the pool level?

Bubbles in the pump pot make me think suction side leak. It would make sense that there are more bubbles when the cleaner is hooked up. It will put more suction on the line and cause more air to be drawn in. Are there always bubbles in the pump pot, even without the cleaner?

Has the 1" of water loss just started recently? Have you done the bucket test yet? I ask because in some areas, 1" of water loss per week is normal.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

5. Back To Top    #5

Ah, good!

You'll need to replace your diverter gasket ("spider gasket", the one in your multiport that looks like a wagon wheel). While you've got it apart, check to make sure the diverter & handle assembly are in good shape too. The springs get worn out from time to time.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ah, good!

You'll need to replace your diverter gasket ("spider gasket", the one in your multiport that looks like a wagon wheel). While you've got it apart, check to make sure the diverter & handle assembly are in good shape too. The springs get worn out from time to time.
    How do I remove the old gasket? It looks like it is glued in place.

1.5hp Waterco pump
    SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

Is it attached to the part that the connects to the filter or to the moving, spring-loaded diverter? If it's built into the moving part then you have to replace the whole thing. If it's down in the part still on the filter and seems to be glued in, then it probably is. Sometimes they have to come out in small bits. A razor blade and a lot of patience will get it done.

8. Back To Top    #8

If it's down in the part still on the filter and seems to be glued in, then it probably is. Sometimes they have to come out in small bits. A razor blade and a lot of patience will get it done.
    I removed the old gasket as best I could with a lot of patience, nail polish remover and metholated spirits. When I replaced the new gasket it still leaked, but just a trickle, so I inslalled a gate valve in the backwash line. All good now.

Thank you Tim

1.5hp Waterco pump
    SWCG

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by launboy
    Are you talking about the water level in the Pump skimmer basket or the pool level?

Bubbles in the pump pot make me think suction side leak. It would make sense that there are more bubbles when the cleaner is hooked up. It will put more suction on the line and cause more air to be drawn in. Are there always bubbles in the pump pot, even without the cleaner?

Has the 1" of water loss just started recently? Have you done the bucket test yet? I ask because in some areas, 1" of water loss per week is normal.

HTH,
    Adam
    Hi Adam
    There are always 2 or 3 large bubbles of air floating around in the pump pot. Is this normal?

1.5hp Waterco pump
    SWCG

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP, LAB !!

The bubbles shouldn't be there, but they are fairly normal and harmless as long as they stay ~ the same at all times. What it indicates is a small air leak in the suction line(s). There is an article in Pool School (linked in my sig) about leak detection - you may find a helpful hint therein

I think it's great that there are some Ausies here - y'all are opening up your pools as we're shutting ours down This should help keep us 'in shape' over our winter months :P

Congrats on stopping the backwash leak! The trickle is probably from either a slightly damaged channel or from a little piece of the old gasket still being there and preventing a full seal However, the ball valve is the easiest way to keep from loosing water when on 'Filter' Keep an eye on the returns for filter material bypassing the multi - if you get some, you'll have to reopen the multi and address the issue - we'll help!

Tim and Adam are 2 very helpful guys here - you've gotten good advice

Again, welcome - I hope you have nothing but a trouble free pool all season!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Welcome to TFP, LAB

Tim and Adam are 2 very helpful guys here - you've gotten good advice Yep, thanks very much guys

Again, welcome - I hope you have nothing but a trouble free pool all season!
    Gidday waste, thank you for the official welcome. I am not sure about these bubbles though. I certainly get a pump pot full when I run the suction cleaner. I have checked the vacum line and there are no leaks, but air must be getting in somewhere?

As a matter of interest, how would I start my own pool service business? I am just thinking small part time pool cleaning and maintenance.

1.5hp Waterco pump
    SWCG