Diamond brite watercolors

Apr 19, 2015
Boca Raton, FL
I'm in the process of picking a DB color and really want a dark pool, but I want it a very deep shade of blue. I only get full sun mid day for about four hours so I don't want onyx. I have samples of Cobalt Blue and it is 6x midnight blue and 4x onyx, steel blue I believe is 8x tahoe blue and 2x onyx, I'm also looking at ocean blue but don't know the combination, does anyone know? Does anyone have a pool in any of those colors? And how about price? I still don't know how much more they cost in comparison to regular DB colors. I'd love any input or pictures. Thank you!

I've had many plaster applicators consistently steer me away from the dark blues---apparently the blue has a tendency to fade over a couple of years, which causes customer satisfaction issues. I'm going to go with the super blue (which is more white than blue), but second choice was French grey, which based on pictures I've seen also results in a very deep blue color, with what I understand to be less fading and showing of stains compared to the lighter colors. We passed on the grey only because we found a tile we liked that had a bunch of white in it, and a white filled tile with grey grout didn't seem aesthetically pleasing.

The darker the color the more problems. I have seen some VERY bad "molting" on several dark colors. Of course there is nothing you can do about it so the owners were unhappy with the PB. There is also a problem with streaking with the same results.

It is up to you BUT be ready just in case.

Ask you PB if he does not want to warranty it due to you maybe being unhappy down the road.

As for the "more labor" how............how can it be more labor???

Charging to the bobcat that took the dirt out??????? NOPE!

HUGS! You seem to have had a time of it.

Kim

This is a very timely thread, because I need to make a final decision on our DB color soon. I like watercolors Taihiti Blue -- does anyone know what this blend is or have it in their pool? My fallback color is either French Grey or Blue (so fancy, right? lol). Blue is mostly white, like Super Blue.

oh, my PB has Tahoe Blue in his massive pool, and he mentioned that it is mottling some, but he likes the visual impact. fwiw!

Reactions: 3kids2dogs2
Kim thank you for your advice. The guy is just a bad human being, I can't even get started I just want this over...

I had posted this question here then lost my log in and just today was able to come back.

Right? How is it more labor for a darker color? He just knows I want it so he's trying to find any gaps to tick me with extra bills. There are other things that have been happening that just insults my intelligence. He thinks he's dealing with a woman and that says to him I'm easily manipulated. Not here! My Father and brother are both GCs so I've been around construction all my life, in fact I went with him because my dad had seen his work, the thing is we didn't know how he worked, only that all his subcontractors are all very good professionals... But I'm my own project manager here and don't let anything go without me being here so I'm catching all this stuff, plus talking to all his workers, nobody really even wants to do work for him...

- - - Updated - - -

This is a very timely thread, because I nee to make a final decision on our DB color soon. I like watercolors Taihiti Blue -- does anyone know what this blend is? Also, my PB is NOT enthusiastic about the blended colors because of color consistency. My fallback color is either French Grey or Blue (so fancy, right? lol), Blue is mostly white, like Super Blue.

oh, my PB has Tahoe Blue in his massive pool, and he mentioned that it is mottling some, but he like the visual impact. fwiw!

Helen I had found all the formulas on line, let me look it up and tell you.

I've had many plaster applicators consistently steer me away from the dark blues---apparently the blue has a tendency to fade over a couple of years, which causes customer satisfaction issues. I'm going to go with the super blue (which is more white than blue), but second choice was French grey, which based on pictures I've seen also results in a very deep blue color, with what I understand to be less fading and showing of stains compared to the lighter colors. We passed on the grey only because we found a tile we liked that had a bunch of white in it, and a white filled tile with grey grout didn't seem aesthetically pleasing.

Gil what did you end up with? Are you happy?
Afm, I'm pretty set on a dark blue and mentally prepared for the color inconsistency, I hope it adds character lol I just really really didn't want a bright blue pool this time. I tried it 12 years ago when I build my first pool and they did steer me away from it then, but now I just want it even more. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is neat! I love the coping/stone around the pool! It looks like the work that has been done is correct and well done. So sad he has to be so "ugly" about some things like MONEY and how he treats you.

Do you have an answer from the plaster people yet?

HUmmmmm could you find some plaster install people to ask them???????? "Why does it cost more to install ____ color?"

Act all innocent and call the office and ask where the current plaster job is being done...........you can drive over there and talk to them!

Kim

Helen thanks! Lol I like your ideas, I did go see a couple of onyx pools and I wasn't crazy about it in the shade and I get a lot of shade most the day. French gray was an option but I wanted it darker.

The SGM people who manufacture DB didn't call me back and I tried calling them a couple of times. I agree the work that's been done has been done very well, I've been here every day and make a lot of decisions on site. I designed the pool and every inch of it is where it's supposed to be. The PB is just an "ugly" person and I don't like how he talks to his subs... They are all very professional and experienced. So I found out he used to be a field manager for a large company and he's been trying to make it on his own for about a year and a half (I think he was fired) I just found all of this out. The reason why the subs are all goo I'd because they know him from his other job...

Drey, I didn't look at any other options other then DB. Unfortunately I'm on a budget and he is very manipulative and kept saying everything else would be "a lot more money" again he's trying to get me on something I really want.

I will say this, the work is beautiful and because I was on it constantly I got this pool build in 60 days (minus DB at this point)

Love the travertine. How is it set? It looks like no grout joint?

When people talk about the darker blues, are you referring to the base color, rather than the aggregates (like tahoe blue, midnight blue, and verde)? Have you looked at some of the samples in person? They actually look different than what they show on their website. I'm not going with something so dark, but my PB suggested one of the colors that contains more aggregate (I believe super blue or marlin blue) because they are more durable or hide stains better (can't remember his exact words). When you look at the samples in person you can see the difference.

Love the travertine. How is it set? It looks like no grout joint?

When people talk about the darker blues, are you referring to the base color, rather than the aggregates (like tahoe blue, midnight blue, and verde)? Have you looked at some of the samples in person? They actually look different than what they show on their website. I'm not going with something so dark, but my PB suggested one of the colors that contains more aggregate (I believe super blue or marlin blue) because they are more durable or hide stains better (can't remember his exact words). When you look at the samples in person you can see the difference.

Thank you! The travertine are set like regular pavers, no grout.

In reference to darker colors, I'm talking about a dark base color. I went to the NPT showroom and talked them into giving me some samples so I came home with three full boxes do samples, everything "watercolors" river rok and quartzscapes. I studied them! Lol put them in water over night, scrubbed them the simulate the natural aging and curing process, took them outside in sun light, shade you name it. Complete madness!!! Lol after all that I settled for cobalt. Hopefully by next week I can post a picture of it finished! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.