Do I need to test for Cyanuric Acid (CYA) ?

May 15, 2015
Atlanta-GA-
Hi

I don't have my pool yet, the installer is running behind. It will be an above the ground 12 footer. I am trying to learn the max I can right now about running it. Do I really need to test for Cyanuric Acid (CYA)?
I read on many sites what has to be tested and lots don't mention it.

Thanks

Patrick

Well Patrick, the initial answer is yes. You don't need to test a fresh fill. You will then need to add CYA to protect your free chlorine. You will target a certain number depending on the type of equipment you install. After that, it's smart to test.

It is very important!!! Until you know your CYA level you won't know the free chlorine level to keep in the pool in order to follow the method taught here. I started out with a CYA level well over 200 and had to do several drain sessions to get it down to 100. Still have a ways to go. It needs to be kept "at bay". If it is way high it will reak havoc on your pool and your levels will be a constant fight.

But, I don't fully understand your question if you mean on the start-up or afterwards as part of your maintenance routine.

Well, your tap water has 0ppm of CYA in it, so you can use PoolMath to have a pretty good idea how much you need to add to reach a target level, but after than you need to test for it.

It is VERY important to know your CYA as it determines what your FC needs to be. See the FC/CYA Chart. This is something that it seems a majority of the pool industry does not understand (or they ignore it to the benefit of their pocketbooks).

I suggest you stop reading "many sites" and just stick with this one ;)

And certainly invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits before your pool is filled.

OK so I do need to test for it. What I don't understand as a beginner is how do I know how much free chlorine to add depending on what my test kit indicates for cyanuric acid? What do my levels of CYA have to be?
I went to the CYA/FC chart and that does not help me, I don't understand it. Also what does SWG mean on the pool chart?

Pool math is also complicated to use for me.
So many questions, it is taking the fun out of it right now. Maybe I should just go to my local pool store for the beginning and ask them questions until I am comfortable running things myself (I was trying to avoid them selling me stuff that I might not need or overpriced.)

Thanks to all

Patrick

Patrick, it's all a bit overwhelming in the beginning. But do yourself a favor and stay out of the pool store. All the information you need to maintain a pool with only a few minutes a day starts right here with TFP.

Since your pool install is running behind, this is the perfect opportunity to learn. Start with the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry Don't worry about anything other than this for now. After you read it and read it again, come back and ask questions.

Order a test kit...there is a link in my signature. You can search and compare if you like or you can take the word of many members and go with the TF-100. Best bang for the buck!

OK so I do need to test for it. What I don't understand as a beginner is how do I know how much free chlorine to add depending on what my test kit indicates for cyanuric acid? What do my levels of CYA have to be?
I went to the CYA/FC chart and that does not help me, I don't understand it. Also what does SWG mean on the pool chart?

So many questions, it is taking the fun out of it right now. Maybe I should just go to my local pool store for the beginning and ask them questions until I am comfortable running things myself (I was trying to avoid them selling me stuff that I might not need or overpriced.)

Thanks to all

Patrick

Going to your pool store is the worst thing you can do to learn how to maintain you pool. Believe me! I did that the first year I had my pool and I had a mess. They would tell me to add this and that would cause a problem so they would tell me to add something else. I ending up spending over $1000 the first year I had my pool and the water was never right. Plus I never understood what I was adding and why.

Do yourself a favor and order a TF100 test kit with SpeedStir and go to TFP POOL SCHOOL.

I run my pool on less than $200 a year now. Plus I know exactly what I am adding to my pool and why.

OK northern and April, I will stay out of the pool store just like I originally wanted to do. I will get that recommended test kit and go to the TFP pool school and water chemistry.
So more questions will come to you, that's for sure.

Thanks

Patrick

OK northern and April, I will stay out of the pool store just like I originally wanted to do. I will get that recommended test kit and go to the TFP pool school and water chemistry.
So more questions will come to you, that's for sure.

Thanks
Patrick

Great decision!
You won't regret it!
We love questions!:whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks to all

Patrick

I am new to this type of pool care as well. Just had a pool built and filled it a couple weeks ago. SWG is for people with salt systems by the way. Get a good kit and start watching some youtube videos and keep reading this forum. I wish I would of never stepped into pool store. Spent way to much money on stuff I do not need. I had a pool several years ago and pool store had me spending money and chasing my tail more than they helped. I am all in with this system of pool care. Nice helpful people here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.