Polaris 280 input needed

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
I have a Polaris 280 that came with the pool when we purchased our house. It is 10 years old. It is wore considerably along with being bad faded, and I can see a few cracks in it. Fittings are all rusted as well. If I had to guess, it was left in the pool all season long and never took out of the pool.I looked on youtube to get a basic feel on how to hook it up and use it as far as not to mess the pump up. However, I don't really know what to expect out of it because I have never been around this type of vacuum. What I have noticed is it does good for a few mins. and then floats or hovers around close to the bottom more than anything. I have taken it out and cleaned the bag but same thing. Another thing I have noticed is where it plugs into the pool wall there is some water pressure coming out from around the fitting. I don't know if this is normal. If it gets hung up in a corner it will just sit there and spin its wheels. I don't want it to hurt the liner doing that. I guess my question is, is any of this abnormal and can anyone tell me what I should be expecting out of it? It fills the bag good when it is running good, but it seems like he plays hovercraft more than Mr. Vacuum guy.

The backup valve is supposed to come on occasionally to pull it up in case it gets hung somewhere. It may be leaking and staying open enough to pull it off the bottom. I've seems few threads where people talk about the relief valve in the wall plug is staying open with water coming out like you describe. So, either or both of those could need to be replaced. Another possibility is its getting too much pressure from the booster pump. Does the port in the wall have a blue or red disk installed in it? When you set them up you start without one, then if the wheel rpm is too high, you add one to reduce the amount of water going to the cleaner to slow it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the 280 should be running at approx 28 - 32 psi, rule of thumb 1 wheel revolution = 1 psi. so you turn the cleaner on and hold it under the water and count the wheel revolutions in 15 seconds (then times that by 4 and that gives you revolutions per minute). at the wall fitting you should see a large nut with a coloured disk in the middle (pressure bypass valve) you then screw this nut in to speed the cleaner or out to slow the cleaner, adjust it so you have the rpms at the cleaner and all should be good to go. check the rear float on the cleaner to make sure it does not have water inside.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.