Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Approx bleach and acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Approx bleach and acid

I've been using Tri-chlor exclusively for the past 4 years, but now I'm switching to BBB. Approximately how many gallons of 6% bleach do you use per year? Also approximately how many gallons of 31% muriatic acid do you use per year?
    Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Approx bleach and acid

In the summer I was using 3 quarts of bleach per day. Now that the weather has cooled and the sun shines on the pool for a shorter period of time I'm using about 6 quarts per WEEK. I'm also using about 1 quart of acid per week.

The best thing is that I'm now using ZERO algaecide, only backwashed my DE filter once all summer (this was required about every other week pre-BBB), I haven't had to shock the pool all summer, and the pool has been crystal clear ever since the week I added Borax. I'm sure that the pool store misses me...
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

3. Back To Top    #3

In my 16,000 gallon pool I add (on average) 2 cups of 12.5% chlorinating liquid (equivalent to 1 quart of 6% bleach) every day. However, I have an electric opaque pool cover so that reduces loss of chlorine from sunlight. The pool is used almost everyday with the cover open for around 1-2 hours in partial sun/shade. As for acid, I only add about 2 cups of Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) once a month, again mostly due to having the cover that prevents carbon dioxide outgassing.

One 3" 8-ounce Trichlor tablet/puck is equivalent in chlorine quantity to 7 cups of 12.5% chlorinating liquid or 14.2 cups of 6% bleach. So if you know your current Trichor consumption, then you can figure what your bleach usage will be.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. Maybe a few more can post up.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Meatloaf,

A pool your size in the AZ sun will probably average about 1/2 gal of 6% daily running a somewhat higher CYA of say 60ppm.

That's an estimate but it wont be a quart and it won't be three quarts.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School