Balancing New SWG

tackettaj

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2015
Mooresville, NC
Looking for some expert advice.

I'm working on balancing my brand new SWG. Just finished adding salt to the recommended ppm and the builder set the cell to 50% chlorine production. I want to balance my pool the TFP way. According to "Water Balance for SWG's" I need to get my CYA up to 70 before adjusting the cell. My problem is the CYA test doesn't show any levels of cyanuric acid in my pool but my builder said he added some. Without knowing the actual level of CYA, is the safest approach to add a gallon of liquid stabalizer...wait 24 hrs and then test...then repeat until I can get a proper reading?

My salt is at 3000 ppm w/ cell at 50%. I've tested but have 0 FC and 0 TC. I'm thinking this is due to my low CYA and UV eating up all FC being produced. Just need a little advice on how to get it up safely without going over. Hate the idea of draining any water to add moe...just filled the dang thing up and not wanting to dump more water in it if not needed.

Thanks for the any advice!!!

When did PB add Stablizer and what type as well as how is very important? I would not add anymore until you know what the PB added.

A SWG is designed to maintain FC level not bring it up.

For now you can say your CYA is 0 until you find out what and how much he added and use pool Mathew to target 2ppm and add bleach.

Thank you for the quick reply Azgirl71! I will check to see when and what he added. Not real pleased with the PB's communication throughout this process. Hopefully he can give me what I need to move forward.

So, I will approach it with 0 CYA and add bleach to raise FC and then maintain...THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Just got a response from the PB and he said "we buy in bulk from supplier. No brand". He did say it was granular.

I asked him what level he brought it up to and he said he shoots for 50-70. I will follow the recommendations and watch it for a week.

Any CYA added to the pool should have shown up by now.

Either there's a testing error, or the builder did not add CYA as indicated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the reply. Not that I can't make a mistake but I think I performed the test correctly and with my experience with the PB he probably didn't add it or at least to the levels he said.

I filled the bottle to the 7 line with pool water (elbow depth) filled up to 14 with CYA reagent. Shook it for 30 seconds and then filled the tube and not even a small fading of the dot before the tube spilled over the top.

I would suggest you use your liquid stabilizer and then get the rest of the way with granular stabilizer. Granular stabilizer is cheaper and more cost effective. Liquid stabilizer only provides ~ 30% CYA by weight and the rest is water and chemicals to help the CYA dissolve into solution. The granular stuff can be put in skimmer sock or old, clean nylon and then either hung in front of a return or placed in the skimmer. If you place it in the skimmer, you can only leave it in there while the pump is running as CYA is acidic. You'll either need to remove it when the pump is OFF or float it in a blue chemical float until you can put it back in the skimmer again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.