May have started too quickly...

May 16, 2015
Pooler, GA
Hello,

I used PoolMath to find out what I needed to add to get my new pool up and running. Unfortunately I think I over did it on my CYA. I did not add too much, but I did not realize just how much it affected pH.

Starting readings:

PH 7.8
TA 150
CH 100

I did not test for TC or CYA because I had not added any yet.

I added 29 fl oz 8.25% chlorine, 60 oz CYA, and 160 lb of salt.

4 hours later the CYA is almost completely dissolved out of the sock. We also mixed in the salt fairly well.

We do not have a test for salt, so I am just winging it there and watching the warnings on the SWG. I just turned it on, and none are displayed right now.

Current readings:
FC 2
TA 150
PH 6.8 (tested digitally)
CYA 55
CH 100

Should I worry about my pH right now? I know I needed it to drop anyways to help lower my TA, but I added enough CYA to bring it to 70. It is at 55 now, which tells me pH is going to continue to drop.

Leave it alone and let it raise up on its own, or add MA to bring it up to 7.0-7.2?

The first pH test was TF-100 provided color match block and the second test was a digital test? Testing error on the second test is the most likely conclusion. Digital pH testing is only as good as your last calibration. Your drop test is good as long as your reagents are fairly fresh.

With that high of a TA level, aeration will raise your pH over time... IF (BIG IF) your pH is actually low.

Photos please

Hey there neighbor!

Water is crystal clear. I am probably just being paranoid, and like to be preemptive if there is possibly something there. I have done a lot of reading around here, and have read people stating that crystal water does not necessarily mean that there are no issues.

The water is only a few days old btw. I mainly was worried that something got in there before I had a chance to get my FC up in the first day or so. Again, new pool owner paranoia I am sure.

Also, my SWG is handling the chlorine on its own already, although it is running 8 hours a day. Pump is running 12.

20150529_094849.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a water chemistry update.

11pm test

TC: 8.5
CC: 0
TA: 110
PH: 7.2 tested with TF-100
PH: 7.3 tested digitally
CH: 75
CYA: 70

First of all, I did not test for the last 2 days. Obviously my SWG is working too hard because my FC is double what it needs to be.

PH is low because I am trying to lower TA. I have added 64oz of MA since I opened the pool at a TA of 150. Unfortunately I bought the wrong MA. I bought some "green" **** that is super weak. MSDS says less than 25% HCl. At least it doesn't blast me in the face with fumes while I am pouring it!

I trust my digital pH more than my TF-100 pH btw.

Latest test results... My SWG is still not dialed in. 2 days of running for 6 hours per day brought my FC from 4.0 to 8.5. I also added another 32oz of weak "green" MA. I have stopped using pool math for this MA. I fill a 16oz solo cup twice to lower pH by 0.4.

The 8.5 reading was last night. SWG is turned off for the day today.

2:15pm
FC 6.5
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 100
CYA 80

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.