Shock Therapy Free With Pool.....OUCH!!!

JohnT,

Unfortunately, any version of the NEC is not binding unless it has been adopted by a local ordinance. It's merely a set of guidelines that define best practices.
You are absolutely correct. Which is why I was hedging my comments a little to DMAN about which version of the NEC might be in effect.

Louisiana apparently is one of those relatively few states which do not adopt the NEC at the state level, but leave NEC adoption for the local level.
http://www1.eatonelectrical.com/NECInteractiveMap/

The fact that DMAN lives outside of any city or town limits pretty well eliminates all requirements to build to code.
I will have to disagree with this statement. Even if DMAN lives outside of Baton Rouge city limits, he is probably in either East Baton Rouge parish, West Baton Rouge Parish, Iverville Parish, or Ascension parish. The first two parishes have adopted the 2008 NEC, whereas I could not find any NEC adoption at all for the last two parishes.

Titanium

Thanks guys, I appreciate all th input from you guys.

I am not sure about the NEC version around this area, as I am a "transplant", and still somewhat new in this area. I will however, check with our local parish offices to see if it has a version and what one it is. As JohnT said, I stated in an earlier post that I do live outside city limits, so I'll ask the parish offices about any coverage loops on our pools. I'll let you guys know what I am able to find out.

Oh, and Titanium,,, I actually live in Livingston Parish. You hit all around us with those you named. We are actually just east of East BR. Thanks for the time looking that stuff up.

Pool party at my house when this is done....hopefully it WON'T be a "shocking experience" for everyone!!hehe

Thanks Again,,,,,,,

DMAN

UPDATE!! UPDATE!!

Hey guys, finally an update on the shock situation.

Well, it appears to be what I feared all along. The pool is not bonded properly. Even AFTER I specifically asked the pb about it when they were here, that wasn't enough. I guess they felt like I was telling them "how to do their job". The pb did say they would help out, by replacing the metal handrail with a "plastic/resin" one. They tell me we can get a ladder rail to match, but I definitely don't want to have a metal ladder, and a white plastic/resin handrail. However, with a saltwater pool, we wouldn't have to worry about the rails rusting or anything, what do you guys think about this option??? And have any of you heard of this type of rails?? Are they any good??

Anyways, the local power company came out a few times and they tested EVERYTHING. They have been very helpful. We tested the bonding, and it seem that that's what it is. We ran a wire from the handrail to the bonding wire the pb did put down, and NOTHING!! Remove the wire from the handrail, and bzzzt,,voltage present. It's still next to nothing at a .25 volt reading, but it's there. So the power company is coming this week to put in something called a "blocker"??? This is supposed to do something with the grounds coming and going to and from my house. Not exactly sure about it, but the engineer says that they have had some success with them in these type of situations. Hopefully that will help.

PLAN B:

However, IF this does not alleviate all or any of the voltage, I am planning on renting a cement saw, and cutting a groove from the edge of the cement to the hand rail about 1 inch deep and dropping a copper wire in there to tie that handrail in with the bonding wire on the other side of the pool put in by the pb the way it SHOULD have been done. Then I'll simply fill in the groove, and creatively tie it into a tile pattern or something on the deck around the pool. Hopefully, this will do the trick. I am also gonna do the grid idea from John T with the copper ground rods around the deck. You never know, maybe that's what will work.

I am not sure what will happen through all this, but I'll keep you guys informed. Oh, and yes, we have been swimming a little on warmer days, and NO it has not been a bother at all....hehe

Take care and hope to get some responses to these ideas.....

Thanks,,,,,,DMAN

Guys,

I just wanted to update and ask more questions. The power company came out and installed their "blocker" (called a ground isolator?). Well, it did help the issue a bit, but there is still a very small voltage there.

We did decide to go with the resin/pvc handrails from the pb. We figure that with the salt water, at least we don't have to worry about any corrosion on them, and there is NO voltage whatsoever on them now.

However, there is still a small charge when touching cement deck and water in pool at the same time. I am going to do the ground rod grid like John T suggested way up in this post, but want to get your ideas on something....

I have been toying with the idea of getting a masonry blade for my skill saw(circular saw), and cutting some 3/4 to 1 inch deep slits in the concrete deck(like a 5ft grid pattern), then running some #8 bare copper wire in the slits tying them all together to the ONE bond wire the pb put in. Then we would seal them up with something like a silicone caulk,,, or do you guys know of something that would work or look any better? This would basically give us a tile grid (maybe like 5ft squares) on our deck. I'm thinking this might act as a "bonding grid" sort of after-the-fact.?.?

Would this do any good, OR do you guys think it would do any harm? Any ideas on filling the slits, or any ideas at all??

Another thing, I looked a some "Sun Deck"? Does anyone know if this stuff has a rubber base in it and will a coating similar to that have an isolating effect on our deck? Would it be worth it?

John T,,, if you're out there, I sure would like some more of your expert input.... and anyone else with cement, cement coatings, paint, caulk, or just whatever kind of info.

We're getting desparate down here....

Thanks guys,

DMAN

I'd probably try something like the wires in the concrete if it was my pool. I honestly don't know if it will work or not. I'd expect you see chipping where the grid cuts intersected.

I've wondered about something like a 6 or 12" strip where you make several cuts about an inch deep, then chip out the remaining concrete down to the one inch depth. Make one deeper cut and cram your wire into that, then lay outdoor ceramic tile in mortar over the whole works, raising the tile up to the original concrete level.

I've never tried that, but it's kind of been in the back of my mind as a way to cover up a skimmer or plumbing repair without trying to match concrete that never matches. Maybe a lot of work and maybe a waste of time, but it could actually end up looking better than the plain concrete.

Hi,

Just started reading about your problem. What a pain in the neck, I feel for you.

I think you have gone above and beyond what the typical home owner would have done to fix this problem.

You need to get a lawyer and get the money out of the Pool Builder. I would not trust him to fix anything.

Get a quote from a contractor or other qualified person. Then either take the pool builder to small claims court or higher a lawyer.

After all the money you spent, you should be able to get it fixed right.

Good luck

I can't help but think that this too is the PB's fault. I think it's a cryin shame that he/they could do this but I guess it happens. :roll: I think they should atleast rip your deck up, ground it and repour the deck but that would be in a perfect world I guess.

If it were my pool, I'd be hot under the collar. That's just my $0.02. Probly doesn't add up to much but WTH. Good Luck. I hope you can resolve it no matter what! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.