Water Out of the Discharge When Flitering

May 17, 2012
Central Georgia
Over the past two days, I have noticed a significant drop in the water level. I filled it overnight twice and each afternoon my skimmer was sucking air. I added about 4 inches last night and during the night it occurred to me to check the discharge pipe. It runs the width of the backyard and empties into the ditch along the road. Sure enough, with the handle in the filter position, I'm getting a partial flow out of the drain. It's about half of what I get when I'm backwashing or vacuuming to waste.

My question is, is it the selector assembly or the spider gasket? I read in the page about deep cleaning the filter that this type of selector has no serviceable spider gasket. It's a Hayward Variflo XL. Is this true? There's a big chunk of change in the price of the selector valve vs a gasket. But then so is all the water I've been sending down the street to my neighbors.....

From what I've been reading, they go bad, usually having to be replaced once a year. Guess I've been blessed to have this one 3 years. BTW, the squirrels love to get on top of the filter and gnaw on the edges of the selector valve. I've got chew marks all around the top of this thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.