Black stain , a ring around our gunnite pool

ljo

May 27, 2015
Suffern, NY
Greetings,
We have had this pool for twenty years, but after reading some posts I feel as though we've been doing it all wrong! I don't even know how to test for CYA. We thought the horrors of our Northeast winter were behind us until we opened our pool only to find the worst color water we've ever seen. I've gotten the water clear, but a 4-6 inch ring of brownish black stain remains just below the tile line. Any ideas of what this is? I suspect algae but it doesn't respond to the treatment. Do I use a whole bottle of multi- purpose algaecide every day? If so where can I get it without spending an arm and a leg? One bottle at my local shop is 27$. We also have never really used stabilizer, can anyone explain it in simpler terms than the article, I was never very good a chemistry. Thanks for any help!
Struggling in NY,
LJO

Last edited:
LJO, stick with the info on this site and you'll be much happier and see better results - not to mention save $$. FIRST PRIORITY - Start by ordering a TFP-recommended test kit and read some of the links below in my signature. Those are "musts" to get started. Don't spend any more money at the pool store, but be prepared to buy "regular" bleach from your local grocery store. That will be your pool
s best friend. Also, please take a moment to modify your profile signature to include your pool info for everyone reading your posts.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Since you can not test for CYA, it is clear that your first step has to be investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

We do not recommend the use of expensive algaecides and pool potions. All you likely need is chlorine, probably in the liquid form like bleach.

Until you can post up reliable test results, it is nearly impossible to offer advice on the path forward.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

I've updated my signature, let me know what else I should include please. Our testing has in the past included PH, FC and occasionally Alkalinity. It is the bioguard test kit I have read some of pool school but it is kind of Techy. I feel like I'm walking into the middle of a class and have missed the first few building blocks. We've been taking the advice of the "pool store" guys and I get the impression they haven't sent us in the right direction. I appreciate your patience in fully explaining the things that seem obvious to you.

Laura, the pool store has indeed taken many of us down the wrong path. You're in good company now. :) As far as testing goes, I ordered the TF-100 last year (w/ speed stir) and never looked back. Best thing I ever did for my pool and my sanity. It was a one-time investment that has paid for itself several times over. Accurate testing is the foundation of everything you do from now on, so you don't want to cut corners on that. Once you have the kit, we'll be able to assist more accurately, and you'll quickly see the majority of your time will be used-up swimming and simply adding something as simple as regular bleach to sanitize your pool. Whenever you have the urge to pull-into the pool store parking lot, turn the other way. :)

- - - Updated - - -

As for that black (ring) stain ... we have different type pools, but I had it happen in the past - typically before I learned how to maintain my pool properly. On my fiberglass pool, it appeared mainly in the corners, right at the water line. It was a black film with an almost gooey consistency that smeared when I tried to wipe it off. With a little elbow grease it came off. I quickly learned that as long as my pool is balanced, those type of things disappeared.

Start with the ABCs link I provided and ask questions as they come up ... depending on where you started looking in Pool School, you very well have walked into the middle of class :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.