Need help with my green pool

May 25, 2015
Fresno, CA
Hello! I just introduced myself on this site: girl1der

We moved last October and this pool came with the house. We were able to keep it clear during the cooler months but it's really starting to warm up here and we've been having trouble keeping the algae away.

After a few failed attempts at "shocking" using the methods listed on this site, we decided to open up the filter a few days ago. Wow! It looked as if the previous owner hadn't cleaned it in a year. We hosed it off until it was white again so that's a good place to start. After reinstalling the filter, we immediately noticed a change in the water flow so the pool is circulating much more efficiently. We're so glad we though to check the filter and didn't waste more money on bleach and acid.

So it's been running almost constantly for two days as is without adding anything. I checked the ph level yesterday in the early evening and it was high so I added the amount of muriatic acid the test said to get the level where it should be.

Here are my numbers from this morning:

Ph = 7.5
CH = 190
TA = 140
CYA = 80
FC 5 - TC 4 = CC 0

I'm new to advanced testing so if anything looks "off", please let me know. Thanks.

Robyn (girl1der)

As I mentioned in the other thread ... what test kit are you using?

The presence of algae is a chemistry problem and not a filtration problem. You need to review and follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

I also suggest you take a look at the FC/CYA Chart as with a CYA of 80ppm (which is a little high for a non-SWG pool), you are not likely keeping the FC high enough, even if you did not have algae.

Also note that we recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. What is the pressure now after you cleaned the filter?

I am using the Taylor 2005. Before, I only had the basic test that tested for total chlorine and ph. I know it's missing something that the 2006 has but the 2005 was in my budget so. . .

- - - Updated - - -

And I do realize that the presence of algae isn't simply a filtration problem but I was thinking that because the filter was so gunked up, no amount of chemicals were going to clear up the algae if I couldn't get them circulated through my pool properly. My bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked and the pressure gauge reading is at 0. I asked hubs about it and if it was even working and he said "I don't know if the guage is working but I do know it's sucking really good now" (referring to the pool vacuum).

Hi girl2der,
welcome.

I totally agree with Jason on getting the FAS-DPD. without it, you will never be able to maintain your FC level with a CYA of 80. There just isnt any way to know what it is.

Anyways... just wanted to drop in and say hi!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hopefully you find it a little reassuring to know that even though you are waiting on the remainder of your test kit to arrive to better test FC, just by adding the initial bleach so far you've seen a change for the better. Just imagine how much better it will be when you have those "accurate" readings and can follow SLAM to the "T". Congrats on taking charge of YOUR pool. :) Try to post pics of the transformation if you can. Readers love to see the change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.