Need help on Coping decision - Travertine or Leuder's Limestone (North Texas)

Mar 31, 2015
Frisco
We have to make a decision on Coping and we cannot decide. I would love Travertine but I'm hesitant because i read that because it is porous if you live in a climate where you have freezing weather that it will crack during the freeze/thaw. Anyone have any input for me to consider? Our pool will be chlorine.

I think you need to go with a Premium grade which will resist the freeze thaw cycle. We have had some very cold winters and are going with Travertine. Our PB did not user the word Premium, but it was graded for effects of cold weather.

I'm considering travertine and got over 100" of snow this past winter. We have freezing temperatures half of the year. My wife has her heart set on travertine so I've been doing a ton of research on both salt and freezing.

Use only the PREMIUM SELECT!!! Every installer and travertine vendor said it must be premium select. My PB also said travertine should be from Turkey (not Mexico).

Salt water - I will only do a salt water pool. Sealing it should do the trick. You'll find a large number of members on this forum with travertine and saltwater pools.

I will dry set the 1.25" thick pavers. It is the recommended method for freeze/thaw climates and also allows me to replace individual pieces without too much effort.

Travertine going here under the snow...
IMG_3007_zps19qkn05r.jpg

IMG_3021_zpssfj106qd.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.