Newbie w/ Cl issues...HELP

May 26, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Morning! I'm a new convert to the TFP way of pool mgmt & have been pool schooling myself. This is our 4th season w/ the pool...my issue is that I started the "old" way...ie took water to the pool store for analysis, & used Aquacheck strips to monitor at home. When pool was opened, 2 bottles liquid "shock" we're used, along w/ 1 bottle of algae inhibitor. I added alkalinity & ph up as per the pool store. Also had them check my Phosphorous level as it was sky high last yr; level was 300, so I added corresponding amt of Phosfree (which I now know is unnecessary!). Used 3" trichlor pucks in my chlorinator & turned it to 2...vacuumed...water clear & sparkly...on my test strips I was getting a TC reading, but no FC reading. Added oxysheen to no avail. CYA per the test strip was ~ 90, pool store had it at 100. Did not want to use the smart shock...that's when I came to your site. Have since added 1 gallon 6% diluted bleach while waiting for my TF-100 test kit to arrive. No more chemicals added. Turned off the chlorinator last nite, & here are the readings from my wonderful drop kit: (heat pump is on), water crystal clear and sparkling...

temp 81
Cl: 3
pH: 7.5
TA: 100
CH: 175
FC: 1.5
CC: 3.0
TC: 4.5
CYA: 70

Oh please help me balance my pool! I am a nurse, & am sick about it! (But am wicked happy about this "chemistry" kit!). Just want my swimmers & equipment to be safe---Thanks!

I agree. Focus on moderate chlorine additions (bleach only) for now until your kit comes-in and you can confirm all readings accurately. From there, post some new TF-100 numbers and we'll keep you on-track. As you may already know ... don't waste your $$ on fancy pool store chemicals. Start reading-up on the SLAM process and chlorine/CYA chart (links below) for when your kit arrives. You did the right thing by ordering that TF-100. I love mine and it's made my job MUCH easier. :)

I agree. Focus on moderate chlorine additions (bleach only) for now until your kit comes-in and you can confirm all readings accurately. From there, post some new TF-100 numbers and we'll keep you on-track. As you may already know ... don't waste your $$ on fancy pool store chemicals. Start reading-up on the SLAM process and chlorine/CYA chart (links below) for when your kit arrives. You did the right thing by ordering that TF-100. I love mine and it's made my job MUCH easier. :)

I was concerned about the CYA level & wondered if it was time to SLAM, or how much bleach to add if just an addition; shall I input my #'s into the pool calculator to determine how much bleach? Shall I put my FC goal as an 8?

thank you so much for your prompt replies!

I didn't order the SpeedStir with the original purchase of my TF-100, but after hearing about it from other users I ordered one. The SpeedStir makes testing with the TF-100 a lot easier (faster). Might want to think about it if you are heading into the SLAM process. It isn't necessary, but nice to have.

Ah ok. It said waiting for test kit to arrive in your post, so I did not think it was here. Sorry about that.

Ok, so you don't have a SWG correct? If not then yes do partial drain and refill processs to lower CYA to 30-50 range.

Your FC is to low. Use the pool math calculator to determine how much to add to bring FC to recommended level. Target 8 minimum 5 for your current CYA of 70

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.