IC 40 Settings To Start?

Hello - My question is does anyone have a general IC40 setting to get started?

I live in middle Tennessee with an 18k gallon vinyl pool just installed a Pentair IC40. My water temp is still a little cool due to a few consecutive low 50's night time temps. I have the IC40 set at 40% and we are running the pool pump 10 hours a day. We had a lot of rain yesterday and this morning my chlorine was around 1. Before the rain yesterday morning it was up around 4. I understand the rain would cause a drop in chlorine overnight and the pump was not running. But if there is a general setting where I should start I would appreciate someone sharing it with me. Thanks!!

I have found that I have to "tweak" a few times as weather changes. Living in Middle TN also, it is harder in late spring to figure exactly where it needs to be due to the inconsistent weather; however by June, things level off and I find that I can pretty well leave it alone. I only run the pump for about 5 hours a day and have the IC40 set at around 50%. When it gets into the lower 90's, I will have to jump it up. I don't think you need 10 hours a day run time. I would recommend getting a good test kit, like the ones recommended on this site and check your water chemistry yourself. You can check the FC every couple of days at first to see what setting your IC40 needs to be to keep the levels where they need to be. I think what I have learned on this site is that every pool is unique and you have to find the sweet spot for yours.

Thanks for the info. I purchased the IC40 to run it less and hopefully last longer. Currently I use the Taylor k2006 test kit I bought a couple of years ago. I purchased the Taylor salt test kit a couple of days ago and hopefully it will deliver tomorrow. It sounds like I need get a handle on the salt level and maybe these daily Tennessee tropical rainstorms :) will stop soon so I can find that sweet spot. I plan to work on it until I do. It is good news (energy bill) that I will be able to cut down the run time.

One more question if I may - Is anyone using a two speed pump with the IC40 and what results have you seen? Part of me wants to get one to cut more energy cost but the flow rate may be too low to run the IC40. Then that makes the two speed not a very good idea. Cutting the run time down will probably accomplish the same thing continuing with a single speed unit. It is just myself and my wife who use the pool 95% of the time. Our grandkids live 975 miles away and they usually only visit briefly each summer. So heavy swimmer load is not usually a problem.

A 2 speed pump will save you a lot of electricity and provide enough flow to run the IC40 on low speed. I run my VSpump at 1100rpm which draws 150 watts and is plenty of flow for my IC40, it will run down to 900rpm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.