15'X48 AGP w/ SWG can't get clean on tight budget

I hate to say it, but that looks a lot like dead algae. There's no harm in keeping your CYA at 30. You'll just have to run your SWG a little longer each day to keep up with the FC loss due to sunlight. That shortens the lifespan of the cel, but I end up having to replace mine every other year anyway. They are $68 plus shipping from Intex.

Do you have a cover for the pool? If so, it might be worth the effort to keep it covered while not in use to keep the tree pollen and grass out of it. At least until you can upgrade to a sand filter and a bigger pump. That will go a long way towards keeping this gunk out of your pool.

Since you've passed the SLAM, I don't know that you need to start it up again, unless your overnight FC loss gets back over 1.0 again. But if I were you, I'd definitely keep my FC toward the high end of the recommended range for a while.

I hate to say it, but that looks a lot like dead algae. I agree but the chemisty isn't giving me any indication of algae. Would I fail the OCLT if it was an algae problem?

Do you have a cover for the pool? If so, it might be worth the effort to keep it covered while not in use to keep the tree pollen and grass out of it. At least until you can upgrade to a sand filter and a bigger pump. That will go a long way towards keeping this gunk out of your pool. I do have a cover but it's not in the best condition and we swim almost daily. Honestly it's easier to vacuum than to put the cover on and off. It might be that I cover it to see if the debris is coming from the outside environment or if it's in the pool.

Since you've passed the SLAM, I don't know that you need to start it up again, unless your overnight FC loss gets back over 1.0 again. But if I were you, I'd definitely keep my FC toward the high end of the recommended range for a while. I was thinking the same thing. I still have 2 gallons of bleach so I may bring it back to shock level again for a couple days just to be safe.

Thanks for the reply. I know it's the same stuff over and over again but just having people reassure you and give advice is encouraging and helpful!

Sounds like a good plan. Try the cover and post back and let us know how that turns out. Good luck! Hey, at least you're getting to use that pool now, right?

Update: It's been stormy here the last week so we haven't been able to enjoy the pool more than a few minutes (it's too cold!). I've really done nothing more to my pool but maintain the Chemistry. I'm still dealing with some debris issues but I'm able to vacuum the debris out so that the pool is clear. The debris is definitely more solid and less algae looking than before. I can also vacuum without getting muddy water out of the return. Despite the debris the pool remains clear and the chemistry is great. I did add some CYA this weekend so I will test that again in a few days. I really think a new filter would help a lot and I know an upgraded pump and sand filter would make a big difference but unfortunately these are just not in our budget. So for now it's just a little extra hard work to keep the pool clean. My time, sweat and elbow grease are cheap so that is the route I've chosen to take!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for the encouragement and information they have given. A couple times I was really beginning to think I wasn't going to be able to do it. Now every time I step outside and look at my pool I'm amazed and it makes me smile! It supposed to clear off this week and the temperature gets back into the 90s so I'm really looking forward to some late afternoon swims! Thanks TFP!

P.S. I will try to remember to add some pictures this evening.

My water is beautiful. I still have debris issues but even after I vacuum it remains clean. I feel confident the debris is being introduced from the environment. Here are some pictures.
78d23dda946dba3c3c0795c03db99000.jpg
d03a7bb55d4ff9d09cd886c0f78cb1c0.jpg
d7acadc185203bccea25ae169313d3e1.jpg
6d90fca5771935d39b280108f75981a1.jpg
2fc23be01920efe26474c3ebc7a3be77.jpg
090149c0c221e81dfba6139d90ad0b4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.