Pool Pump Timers

Apr 24, 2015
Chesapeake/ Virginia
I am in desperate need of some automation for my pumps. I am a forgetful person to say the least. I recently discovered that the timer motor isn't working on my Intermatic Timer and I am in the mood to replace it.
Right now I am thinking about going with a pump start relay and an inexpensive irrigation controller to do the pump controlling. They are usually used to start a pump if needed for your sprinkler system.
(Orbit) Pump Start Relay

I am looking for tried and true methods, if anyone uses and knows it works I want to know what you have and where you got it.
I've been doing research and already have an Arduino Uno but that seems the difficult way to go. I really want to turn it on/off with my phone and would love to get an email or text or tweet when the pump starts and turns off. Web scheduling and programming of times would be AWESOME!!!
Please if anyone has seen this work I want some details. :) I'm good with ideas and suggestions and am doing research in the mean time. I just wanted to get that feeler out there.
Thank you!!!

The EASY thing to do is replace your Intermatic timer with another. I would add that I leave mine running all year - even when the pump is not hooked up - because then I know it will keep running during swimming season. I use one of the mechanical T104 on my 240V pump, but the box for mine says "Water heater timer" and is out of the weather since it is not weatherproof.

This is going to happen with Arduino. I am working with a friend of mine who has some experience in the area. Right it will have a web interface with timer inputs and manual on and off. It is going in an outdoor enclosure. It's merely a brainstorm and some electronic components at this point but it won't be long until I get it figured out.
315e83db4bb6938b64f23d93a8c0f2f0.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.