PH level before the SLAM

Well just used the k-1001 and this is what registered...
506ce90a140fee4d5ad3c1de29f27eac.jpg

So I don't have chlorine present?

Also this is what the pool receives most of the day
0db90744683868e903f6751c312e6f1e.jpg

Still green...I guess I'll put some MA to start dropping PH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you have pretty close to 0ppm chlorine (good for now) and the pH is probably well over 8.2

You need to start hitting your pool with MA to get the pH down. Enter your values into PoolMath including your most recent TA value (even though it's a Pool Store test...yuck!!). PoolMath will tell you how much MA to add.

My suggestion is you add the MA slowly in batches (break up the total into two additions). As you add MA, the TA will be decreased and PoolMath calculates the acid addition based a static TA value (it's not an iterative solver) so it's best to drop pH in steps rather than hitting it all at once. Realistically speaking, your TA is so high that you'll probably be adding more MA than PoolMath tells you but, as I always say, remember the story about The Tortoise and the Hare - slow & steady wins the race.

Yeah, you can go in to retrieve the screwdriver....but I'd definitely shower off afterwards....and maybe take some antibiotics too...yuck....

Nice view of the neighbors by the way....I bet they're jealous when you all are splashing around in the pool :splash:

I got the screwdriver and s couple dog rope toys. The pool floor wasn't slick. Probably because all the algae is floating around ha.

I'll get my poolmath values and start adding the MA.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah there are a lot pools around here. I'd like to get a privacy fence but to do a half acre back yard us pretty extensive and expensive smh

I got the screwdriver and s couple dog rope toys. The pool floor wasn't slick. Probably because all the algae is floating around ha.

I'll get my poolmath values and start adding the MA.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah there are a lot pools around here. I'd like to get a privacy fence but to do a half acre back yard us pretty extensive and expensive smh

I hear you on the landscaping costs. I'm in desperate need of redo'ing the riprap stone embankment around my casita where the equipment pad is. All the stones need to be pulled down and a proper cement footer with the stones put back into a cement background wall (SW landscaping is A LOT of stone and rock work). It's not a huge area, but it's a lot of hot dusty work. I need it because the erosion from rainwater is making the entire back of the casita less and less accessible. It's going cost me a pretty penny to get that work done but before that, the roof coaters are coming Monday to KoolKote my 4000 sq-ft flat roof.

Always something to spend money on...

Ain't that the truth!

Sounds like you've got your hands full too in home improvements.

That's a lot of roof!

Yeah. Lots of kids and other dependents to house, so it's a big house. I'm not originally from the SW but I'm learning stucco houses with flat roofs = lots of maintenance. Just got the house repainted, looks great. But the sun here is intense and forces you to repair the exterior every 5 years. The roof was never KoolKote'd (white elastomeric paint with a nylon mesh reinforcement) so that's costing me and typically requires a retouch of the paint every 3 years or so.

Upside of SW living - 360 days of sunshine per year with a swim season of Apr-Oct (spa is open all year round) and no need to close a pool. And the snow stays up on Mt Lemmon where I can admire it's beauty and travel to see it if I so choose. I hated shoveling snow as a kid.

Pool math said 220. I slowly poured a gallon in front of the return. I'll check levels when I get back home from part time job (aKA: home improvement job)

Excellent. Keep at it. You'll be sparkly in no time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After 2 gallons of MA, PH is actually registering a 7.8 now. Yay progress.

In my anxiousness/ignorance I wasted some reagents on testing chlorine like it was going to change. Silly me.

I'm going to have to get a couple more jugs of MA.

I picked up 30 gallons of chlorine...I'm assuming I should pick up more for the SLAM.?

Also with my copper do I need to do anything for it? Now I think I'm going to test my well water for copper levels.

I need to add a "few" inches of water to the pool to get the level up.

Get the pH down to 7.2-7.4 range. We can't worry about the Cu. it is what it is. We can fix it later

Start wit 30 gallons and we'll see how it goes.

And remember during the SLAM you can only measure FC & CC, no other tests will work (except maybe CYA). Use the 10mL sample size to conserve reagents.

Ok. 0.7ppm is not terrible. I think you'll be ok. You also have a vinyl pool and vinyl liners are way harder to stain than plaster.

Just remember to test as frequently as you can in the beginning (not more than once per hour) as the initial FC consumption is likely going to be crazy high.

Sorry, family pizza night out, just got back.

Woohoo!!! Oh yeah, bring on bleach baby cuz there's gonna be some serious algae destruction tonight!!

Good job. Now remember, you're FC consumption is likely to be insanely high to start with. That means you're going to add the volume of bleach that PoolMath tells you and then when you measure FC 45mins later it'll be 0ppm. That's normal because the second you add that bleach bomb, all of the FC is used up to kill algae. Just keep at it.

Also, only measure FC in the beginning and only use the 10mL water sample size. That will save you on test reagents.

Keep posting results and any pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.