High chlorine with SWG

Jun 13, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
Hi I have had high chlorine level in pool sence it was filled 3 months ago, this is the test results now.
Pool is about 13,000 gal that is the est the pool builder gave me its 14 + 28 3 feet deep to 6 feet at deep end.
fc 6.0
PH 7.4
TA 90
CH 320
CYA 100
salt 3000
I have had the swg turned down as low as it will go and Chorine is stuck high even with the sun shine bright here in florida.
only thing that did happen was water got slight milky look to it so turned swg back to 50 and water is clear again.
I am new at this but am figuring it out got Ph and Ta under control but this high chorine is more difficult to get down without making the pool green or unsafe to swim in. Swg is cycling off and on so I know its not stuck on all the time but I have never got chorine below 5 ppm yet.
Thanks for any help

What kind of tests are you using? drop kit? strips? pool store?

With your high CYA (which may actually be higher than 100) an FC of 6 is not high. Ben's chart doesn't even go that high!

CYA.............Min......Max.....Shock
10 to 20........2.........5.........12
30 to 50........3.........6.........15
60 to 90........5........10........20

(I know the debate about SWG's and FC level, so you might be able to get away with a little lower FC)

Anyway, this could explain your cloudy water... not enough FC (even at 6ppm) to keep the water clean with your high CYA

Useing taylor complete high k2005 kit. tryed pool store, after pool was filled up and thats why the CYA is so high they checked water and sold me a bucket of cya and said to add it all as it was to low at 40ppm cya and now thats why its so high. now I do not trust the pool stores at all all they want to do is have you buying stuf so they keep your pool going crazzy sence I have got my own good kit I have used less stuff and water is looking better.

My chlorine level stays around 7ppm now with my SWCG set to 50%. CYA is at 80 as per SWGC manufacturer recommendation. Pool in full sun most of the day. At that FC level I haven't had any issues or problems with water clarity.

I did add borax to get borates up around 40%, but don't know what relationship, if any, that plays.

txborn said:
My chlorine level stays around 7ppm now with my SWCG set to 50%. CYA is at 80 as per SWGC manufacturer recommendation. Pool in full sun most of the day. At that FC level I haven't had any issues or problems with water clarity.

I did add borax to get borates up around 40%, but don't know what relationship, if any, that plays.

How long are you running your pumps in a days time??? Just curious.

I have been running my pump 6 hr a day. so guess High cl will be nothing to worry about was going by the levels they give you with the test kit, but guess them levels are mostly for a reg pool not a sw pool so will not worry about higher then recomended chroline level.
Thanks for the help in this matter.

txborn said:

Pentair, my SWCG manufacturer, recommends FC at 2-3 ppm with a CYA range of 50-75 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well I took water samples to two different pool stores and this is what I got for readings.
Leslies came up with this.
Fc 5
TC 5
PH 7.6
TA 80
CH 240
CYA 30
Phospates 100
salt 3100

Pinch a penny's test.
FC 5
PH 7.6
TA 85
CYA 100
salt 2900
pinch a penny did not test TC or phosphates.

my test kit came up with these numbers.

FC 6
PH 7.4
TA 90
CH 310
CYA 50
could not test salt as do not have a kit for that.
Guess replaceing about 2 feet of water today worked to lower CYA But do not know if mine is right or them other two.
CYA level is anywere from 30 to 100, but I belive my 50 is right and theres is wrong.
water is real clear so everything is good but the high chrorine level but that should come down now that CYA is at 50.

Most salt pools operate very well with a FC of 4-6 ppm and a CYA of 60-80 ppm. I keep mine at 4 ppm with a CYA of 70 ppm and never have algae or cloudy water. Your chlorine level is a combination of your pump run time and generator output. What kind of SWG do you have? Also, the K-2005 kit uses a color comparator and many people (mostly men, in fact) have touble reading the shades of red. You might want to consider getting an FAS-DPD chlorine test, which is a drop count test with a color change from red to colorless and an accuracy as great as .2 ppm
For testing salt levels the AquaChek salt test strip titrators are extemely accurate. I have repeatedly checked the results obtained from them against both titration tests for chloride and against properly calibrated salt meters and they are always right on the money.

I have the Aqua Rite swg.
I was told at the pool store here that this kit was there best one so I bought it as I am new and learning and the kit the pool builder gave us at there pool school was just a cheap 12 dolar one that was way off on everything, old test agents I am guess with that.
thanks waterbear for the help .

With a 6-8 hour pump run time I would expect your output on the unit to be in the 30-50% range to generate the proper amount of chlorine for your size pool. Remember, it can take about a week for your chlorine levels to stabilze when you make adjustments to either your pump run time or cell output percentage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.